Living on a catamaran (and building it)

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by lunarmys, Jun 6, 2008.

1. lunarmys

lunarmys New Member

Hi people

I have no experience of sailing nor any experience in boat building, but .. I have (what some might called crazy) a idea of wanting to build a catamaran and then live on it.

I'm a computer geek who work from home, so the whole plan would be to sail from shore to shore (Scandinavia -> Europe and possible down to Africa as well (and why not India?)) and work by connecting to the internet via 3G or satellite.

I would like this boat to be my permanent home.

That's the background/idea.

Are there any people out there who are currently living on a catamaran?

The plans I've seen on the net seem to be geared towards "cruise for a few days" kind of trips, whereas I (think I) would need lots of storage space for fresh water and food (I'm thinking of being out on the sea for a few weeks at a time).

Something I'm also thinking about are solar cells. Would it be possible to cover the sails in solar cells?

Any points of where I can research a project like this one? Any special keywords I could search on?
    Searching for house boats give me smaller boats that don't seem to be made for the ocean, and I'd prefer a sail boat.

Any help/pointers/tips/suggestions are much appreciated!

/ d

2. chesapeake40

chesapeake40 New Member

Google

In a nutshell, a catamaran of the size and outfit that you may require could take thousands of hours to build by yourself (4000-8000 is a rough guess assuming you're somewhat handy), and could cost you hundreds of thousand of euros.

Assuming your goal is seen to completion, my initial thought is that a catamaran is not just a floating house. You may be underestimating the costs (time and money) associated with maintaining and sailing a boat in this manner (long term cruising with all the gadgets). It can be nearly a full time job in itself.

I'd start with some googling of everythign that comes to your mind on the subject ("catamaran circumnavigation" or "living on a catamaran" seem to have promise) . All of your questions so far can more easily (and more thoroughly?) be answered by sources already written and available online. Solar panels, watermakers, fuel cells, satellite links...it's all out there for better or worse...

For some info on the lifestyle awaiting you, a search on Amazon for "Sailing" or "Crusing" will yield a few standout books ("Voyager's Handbook" is one that comes to mind).

Good luck!

3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Lunarmys, I reckon thats a fantastic scheme for you which I have done myself but not cruised as extensively as your envisioning, however a better course of action for you could be to buy a suitable vessel & live aboard much sooner saving on building effort & building premises etc in the mean time, as Chesapeak40 has already represented theres 3-4 man years involved in building a cruising vessel to live aboard comfortably, where as you could spend that time saving on rent etc & further outfitting the vessel & training for the adventures & fun ahead. All the best in your plans from Jeff.
    PS: or you could start your adventures in Australia after buying a boat here.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

There is a Wharram Catamaran site
    http://www.wharram.com/links.htm

that may be helpfull. He is big into the 'self sufficient sailor' concept, and many of his designs are nice and simple, for simple living.

If you are single, building as you sail might work.

I dont think sail of solar cells are viable yet, but who knows in the future

5. northerncat

northerncat Senior Member

if your prepared to invest around 100000 and 2000hrs of time you can build ply bridgdeck cats about 40ft long that would fill your needs
    sean

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Lets see - between 100000 and 2000 hrs - thats a range of 34 to 2/3 working years assuming an eight hour day, 7 days a week!

Did you mean 1000 hours or 10,000 hrs ? :)

Fun aside, whose plans were you thinking of? The Wharram site (no bridgedeck) estimates 4000 hours for a forty footer, and 2200 hours for a 38 footer, and they are quite 'simple' boats, built with fairly old methods, so modern designs should be able to imporve on that I would have thought.

Check out www.gleda.org/welcome/ for an insight to building a plywood cat. it looks like you will spend 1000 hrs on this 38 footer just to get her afloat, let alone live while building. and the dust ........ and sanding ..... and epoxy smell ......

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  7. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

i have never really understood the attraction of a wharram design, open deck and deep "v" hulls, is it still an old hippie thing? smoking grass under the stars?

my favourits have always been "easy" or "woods" or "lavranos" and lets get serious nothing else really compares, schionning and kelsall are not in the same financial league for home builders

lunarmys you have got some very serious homework to do. but dont stop, keep on the reading and research, it is a wonderfull journey that will keep you going for the rest of your life:D

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

yes - all the wharram cats I have seen appeared really lacking for decent accomodation. I have never done price comparisions, but surely better use could be made of all the material in those slab sided V hulls.

I notice that the "old" kelsall designs are being sold still. These plywood designs actually are good value, in that they use major elements of his 'fast building' techniques, and you end up with a much more spacious craft.

I would put those designs at the top of the likely lists if building speed was a big issue (and when isnt it?)

9. northerncat

northerncat Senior Member

sorry i meant 100000 dollars aus and 2000 man hours
    sean

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.