liveaboard flat hull design disadvantages

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by robint777, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

we all can be an *** sometimes
    I wouldn't worry about it to much Daniel
    your likely one of the least *** like characters on here

going back to the pounding thing though it seems kinda obvious that a flat bottom or nearly flat bottom will pound more than a round bottom making sleeping on the hook a bit less than comfortable

its efficient when your on the move but when your holed up in some bay or wherever its bound to be louder and more jarring

might work well as an early warning system if the seas are getting up though

2. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Went to wikipedia and the proper name of the flat bottom troop ships was LST. About 290' length, 50' beam, 3'-4" draft and they were brought to the European and Pacific fronts on their own bottoms.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yeah without carrying troops boy........:p

4. wardd

wardd Senior Member

they were used as inter island cargo carriers too

5. tuyhoabob

tuyhoabob Junior Member

live aboard

Please don’t diss any river rat or the Mike 8’s…only because you don’t understand…

This came up when I did a search for my old boats, I read a little then felt I had to respond.

I always had the idea that a Mike 8 would make an excellent live aboard. The only major mods (other than power, water supply and associated things) would be decent living quarters and raising the con to see over the 'house'.

As far as what the resident guru, PAR, thinks of them -- he has a lot of information and opinions based on never (by his admission) being aboard one. I spent 3 years driving various ones in the I-Corps area from 1965 till 1968.

<removed>

'a pig of a boat'...I don’t know what he’s talking about but they weren’t pretty by any means, they were utilitarian in design
    ‘overweight’…so you would have built a medium landing craft/river cargo boat that was going to war out of what? The later aluminum boats may have been lighter but, I’m sorry, I’ve always preferred steel over that when someone was shooting at me.
    ‘overpowered’…huh? Imagine trying to back that much boat with 50 or 60 tons in the well deck off the beach in 6 foot surf with a pair of Johnson 125’s…I don’t think so. Or using the screws to drag and dig a channel for you on a shallow river.
    Sorry but those 4 blown, two-stroke GMC 6-71’s driving those two screws through those wonderful Allison tranny’s saved me and my boys more than once. And, if the outboard mill took a hit my snipe could knock it off-line in a skinny minute, you still had one good engine driving that screw.

Most people don’t realize that you can have over 40 tons in the well deck and 60% of the boat high and dry. A good boat driver can get it back in the river with little effort.

Going ‘seaside’ after a typhoon in ’68 we hit a wall of surf where the Cua Viet river met the sea…the ‘wall’ was about 12’ high and the river was running about 10 knots…we had a wounded Amtrak in the well deck…they weigh about 35 tons…
    We submerged as we entered the surf. From my position in the con I watched the water come up, held my breath (we’d plugged the vents and closed the hatches) as we went under, pulled the throttles into neutral and waited…yep, the old 913 popped back to the surface slowly, we opened things up and I shoved everything forward to ‘all ahead fantastic’ (about 10 knots)…

Those ‘pigs’, 8 of us Mike 8’s living and working in Cua Viet, from November to May of ’67-’68, hauled the equivelent of the USS New Jersey (in cargo weight)
    She weighed in at a little over 58,000 tons---

Up that river 9 times, I took the time one day to do the math.

PAR, don’t diss ‘us’ or the Mike 8 just because you didn’t design it. I have a feeling you may have been ‘in the same war’ however, you were one of the ones in the rear with the gear? Maybe one of the guys in Da Nang who took away my M2 carbine…all of the mags and grenades, my ‘salty’ flack jacket and my best ‘buddy’, my ‘pot’…
    Ya you remember, on the camo cover in marker I’d written…
    “I’m not a tourist…I live here.”

6. tuyhoabob

tuyhoabob Junior Member

Lst

Just in case you don't know, they were called LST

in the Mekong river? 'Long slow target' by the crew

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

:p
    So your point being it's perfect platform for live-abord cruiser ??

8. tuyhoabob

tuyhoabob Junior Member

I never said that and will never alude to it...
    How many non-custom boats have that much HP and an air-operated ramp that floats and is 23 feet wide??

I always thought that a surplus 8 boat would make a damned good house/party boat in anyones world.

9. tuyhoabob

tuyhoabob Junior Member

What's up with the post
    'a lot of BS' and 'more BS' huh? someone didn't like that?

I guess if you post something in here that is real it becomes 'bs'? Hmmm?
    i found this forum by accident...maybe I will leave the same way.

10. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Remember, the context of this particular thread is a liveaboard. If you want to join the forum to post your experiences and facts about the boats you enjoy that is great, or why you feel it's great for the task at hand, but please don't start by attacking or jabbing at another member because you disagree with their opinion or proposal on what is a best fit for the request at hand.

11. tuyhoabob

tuyhoabob Junior Member

jeff, did i attack? In my mind I was only stating what I saw as the truth, guess that wasn't so? I was merely defining his narrow views based on what he didn't know. Sorry if that was too blunt.
    His views/opinions were based on what he did not know, not what he knew. He dissed a brother based on his limited knowlege of that...
    I did not disagree, I pointed out what he said was wrong...it is still wrong.

When you have no knowlege of something, or it's very limited, you sit back and shut the hell up...which he should have done.

12. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I think the concept of a converted , rather than newbuild is valid.

So why not go the next step and install a 10 or 12 wide house trailer of a proper length and be done with it.

Talk about low cost cruising!!! And if properly designed you could take the car with you with ease, beach on any boat ramp, and drive on.

FF

13. tuyhoabob

tuyhoabob Junior Member

Actually FF the well deck of a mike 8 is almost 20' wide;)) pretty cool huh?

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ya gotta be "tuff " to grow old on this here forum, Play nice ? Na come over here and i'll it ya wit a stick. :) (humor & music, humor & music)The problem with conversions and i know i've done enough, you have to take a long and hard look of what you are getting into.Don't get me wrong i loved my war machine and no one could have ever convinced me it wasn't the cats *** but certainly wouldn't want to convert it into a passinger airline. Big engines, heavy plating no doubt get the job done but for a civi moving liveaboard abode man dont fret the docking fees with the price of fuel that become an expense way down the line. The price of fuel (gasoline)here in eastern Canada has just jumped from $1.03 a liter to $1.24 a liter. There are 4.8 L in an Imperial Gal. and 3.8L in a U.S. gal. That's $5.58 a Canadian Gal. and $4.71 a U.S. gal. We are the biggest supplier of oil to the U.S. thru (middlemen)International oil companies of course so boys brace yourselves in all your toy purchases, the $5.00 a gal fuel cost is in reality here.--Geo.

Tuyoabob, whats with the wheelbarrow tires made in your neck of the woods, my workers chew up as many hours blowing up( not a good choice of words) putting air in the tires as they do working. Check into that will ya. :)

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think that any floating platform with a flat wide deck is good as a liveaboard. They hardly ever move if at all anyway.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.