Hello From A New Member

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Biggles, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Biggles

Biggles Junior Member

Hello Everyone.

I have just bought a 60' x 12' widebeam style narrowboat. Here is the blog http://boatbuildblog.blogspot.com/

I would very much like words of wisdom from anyone familiar with this type of hull.

One thing I am keen to discuss is the use of Azipod type drive.

The physical construction is well within my capabilities as is the internal fit out and domestic systems. What I am not up to speed on is boat technicalities and legalities. I currently own and have fully restored a 60' narrowboat and have learned a lot in the process.

The internal finish will be contemporary, no roses and castles will be in sight. I want good light design, good AV and I would like remote access systems to report the condition of the boat and its systems, its security, alerts if something needs attention, and remote control of heating or AC so it can be turned on prior to arrival.

Nothing is set in stone just yet, but these are my thoughts.

If you were building this boat what would you do with it?

Biggles

2. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Hello

Cannot help with you question afraid , but welcome.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Welcome aboard. It looks like a very interesting project.

4. Biggles

Biggles Junior Member

Hello

Yes it is going to be a lot of work, I reckon on 18-24 months.

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

For what would you like to use Azipods? Such installation is quite expensive.
    When you are living aboard and you´re cruising a lot, that could make sense though.
    Having a high hotel load on the El. side would make a electric propulsion probably a good choice.

Regards
    Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.