Minor modification of existing design?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Murky Deep, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Murky Deep

Murky Deep Junior Member

So after multiple posts here, another build (Bolger Junebug) I still need a small power skiff for clamming, fishing and transporting family to various sand bars and beaches under reasonably calm conditions.

Other than it being ugly, the 15'6" Bolger work skiff would meet all my requirements.

What I want to do to it is modify the plumb sides, stem, and transom by a few degrees, say 5 or 7. I have made a few sketches to scale on paper, this does wonders for its appearance. I think I will just pull them in a few inches.

Is this going to mess up anything else? I have built a few other boats, including a one off skiff I modified from an existing design.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

3. Murky Deep

Murky Deep Junior Member

Honestly I like the diablo quite a bit. There is no doubt it is a better all around boat particularly on rough, windy days. However, for the types of fishing and seafood collecting we typically do, round boats are not the best until larger sizes as primary stability is most important. Standing and casting is the biggest use, followed by clamming. Reaching over in a boat that is going to heel quite a bit to measure a striped bass is a disquieting experience.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.