bow engined motor boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by cajunseadog, Jun 8, 2006.

1. cajunseadog

cajunseadog Junior Member

Ahoy mates,
    I remember watching shark week on the Discovery channel some years ago, and there was a research team that would go out and study sharks. To check their lines that they used to catch blue sharks, they had a small boat, possibly a Boston Whaler or Carolina Skiff. It had the engine mounted just in front of the center console though. I was just wondering if anyone has seen anything similar. I thought it looked pretty cool, and I'd like to find or design some similar designs.
    Thanks,
    Matt

2. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

Little tug boats

I've seen engines mounted this way in boats used as little tugs. It is often easier to move a 100' boat around the marina by using mooring lines and a small tug/pusher boat than the main propulsion engines or the larger vessel. Mounting the engine near the center of the tug rather than the stern gives much better maneuverability. It can push or pull in almost any direction.

It may not be so useful for getting the boat on plane and running at high speeds.

djs

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.