lines plan long keelmodel yacht

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by chouchou, Oct 1, 2006.

1. chouchou

chouchou New Member

Does anyone have a dxf file for a long keel model yacht. I am running a youth group and wish to build some model yachts. We will be sailing on a canal with weed hence the long keel.

Thanks

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

model yacht

Check www.modelyacht.org under the EC 12(East Coast 12 Meter) class.
    Closer to home, you might check the model magazine Marine Modelling International -they have a plans section. You can contact the editor, Chris Jackson, for help.
    Good Luck!

3. Earl Boebert

Earl Boebert Senior Member

We don't have dxfs, but have plenty of plans for traditional (long keel) model yachts. What size boats do you want. We provide all our materials free to youth and educational groups.

Cheers,

Earl Boebert
    Historian
    US Vintage Model Yacht Group
    visit our web page at usvmyg.org

4. Robert Gainer

Robert Gainer Designer/Builder

Nice site

Nice site. I run a program to teach traditional boatbuilding to high school children. I am thinking about offering a program for sailing models to get younger (age 10, maybe up to up about age 70) kids interested. Do you have a formal program? It would be nice to see a curriculum if you have one.
    Thanks,
    Robert Gainer
    Program Director
    Hudson Fisheries Trust
    www.fisheriestrust.org

5. Earl Boebert

Earl Boebert Senior Member

Thanks for the kind words about the site. We're currently developing a program here in Albuquerque involving the building and sailing of a 30" LOA vane-steered free-sailing boat with strong resemblance to an America's Cup boat (to piggyback on next year's publicity). The reasons for choosing free sailing are:

1. Simple
    2. Cheap (target price is under $50.00; we want to make this accessible to as many families as possible)
    3. 100% sailing dynamics: trim it and let it go. No advantage to the kids with video game-honed eye/thumb coordination or ("starboard!") aggresiveness.
    4. Easy to set spinnakers for extra excitement (Can you say *wipeout*? I *knew* you could)

Of course, you need a pond that is amenable to free sailing (access all around) which we are newly blessed with here in Albuquerque.

One of our members has also developed a detailed and very succesful program based on a R/C version 1930's M Class design called "Madcap" (50 in LOA, 800 sq in SA). This is, of course, much more expensive and elaborate. The adults (mentors/instructors) build several boats from fiberglass (to learn how) and auction them off (to fund the program). Volunteers build the hulls from fiberglass and then then kids do the rest under close adult supervision. Takes about 50 hours of work for a kid to build a boat this way, but the results are pretty impressive. PM or email me for contact information.

Cheers,

Earl

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.