Lines plan from Rhino

Discussion in 'Software' started by AndyRed3D, Aug 3, 2004.

1. AndyRed3D

AndyRed3D Junior Member

Hi

I've been reading some of the excellent threads for a while :) and decided it's time to jump in as I have a specific problem.

I want to output section lines from Rhino to dxf/dwg. It is a small craft (2.5m) and a builder is going to make a prototype by cutting the sections from 50 or 100mm foam sheet in the old bread and butter stylee. This means there are quite a few sections - making the body plan unreadable.

I've used "Slicer" to create the sections, but they all end up on one layer. Is there a way of "slicing" each section to a different layer? Alternatively I can select each section individually, do "Make2D" to place it on the Top View for output to DXF, and then move this 2D version to it's own layer each time. This is ideal, as then each section will be on a different layer in the dxf as well... except that this is taking an eternity. It's alright for this one, but if I have to do this a few times as we make changes, it's going to drive me round the filleted edge! :p

Can it be automated (i've never used macros or Rhino Script so I have no idea if it can be done?). :confused:

Any advice would be much appreciated - I'm sure I'm probably doing it all wrong!

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Andy

Great idea, it would be nice if Slicer could do this, but a script for Rhino would be cool.

Gary

3. AndyRed3D

AndyRed3D Junior Member

Anyone know of a good tutorial/book for scripting in Rhino?

Andy

4. cgorton

cgorton Junior Member

5. DaveB

DaveB Senior Member

sections to different layers with phaser

Hi,

I bought phaser last summer and it came with something called sections, which I thought was the same as slicer... Anyhow you can save the sections (sections, buttocks, waterlines etc.) all one layer, each on separate layers or on layers by type (all sections on one layer)... Works pretty well!

Might just need to get the latest version (in demo of phaser I think...)

Cheers,

Dave

6. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Andy - the cheapest, easiest way to do it, at the expense of about 5 minutes of your time, is to create all the layers you want, then change each curve to its correct layer.
    Simple, efficient, no add-ons, no scripting. :)

Steve "cheapskate"

7. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Hi, slicer, gives you the option to save buttocks, frames in an specified layer. i'm using RhinoV2 and i can send all sections to any layer.

8. CGN

CGN Senior Member

I will check at home tonite if you can save each of the frames in a layer, like....section x in layer Fr01....section xx in layer Fr02...etc..

9. DaveB

DaveB Senior Member

If you use slicer somehow the program seems to know what sections were made and seems to delete them if you delete/change the information in the dialog box even if you move them to another layer... might want to copy them to another layer as if you update things they might get moved back...

Sorry I'm not certain of what I'm sayin'... I haven't completely figured it out, just thought I should mention it.

Regards,

Dave

10. CGN

CGN Senior Member

I have this option "each section on it's own layer" for the slicer plug-in, but the layer name shows up as:

Section 1000.00, Section 1500.00, etc..

you can't change this ones to be something like Fr 01, Fr 02 etc..., but at least each section can be created with it's own layer name, all this apply for all cuts and section for the boat, this is using the slicer "plug in", or sections.

11. AndyRed3D

AndyRed3D Junior Member

Duhhh..

CGN - thank you very much, that's exactly what I am looking for! OK, I feel a bit of a donkey now, sometimes it pays to look doesn't it? :rolleyes: So you'd have to rename the layers if necessary, but it's not the end of the world!

I've also just discovered that you can select all your newly created section curves on separate layers :D and then when you "Make2D" you can choose the "Maintain Source Layers" which places all the 2D curves on it's own new separate layer called "<original layer name> - visible". Perfect! How cool is that?

It took me two hours to separate them all out manually yesterday - this has just taken ten minutes to do it again, including changing all the layer names. :)

Thanks again for your help.

Andy

12. AndyRed3D

AndyRed3D Junior Member

Dave

Thanks - I'll remember that. It could also be a useful feature if it means you don't have to re-create the curves and delete the old ones if you change settings.

13. AndyRed3D

AndyRed3D Junior Member

14. cgorton

cgorton Junior Member

By the way, when you export to dwg or dxf there is an option to project to cplane. So, you really shouldn't need to Make2D.
    Once your stations are set up in the sections tab, you can change the hull surface and then use the section command again. It will delete the previous stations and redraw new ones. Select them all and export as dwg, project to cplane.

Cheers,
    Craig

15. AndyRed3D

AndyRed3D Junior Member

Craig

I've just tried it - works a treat. I'm a happy man...

Cheers,

Andy

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.