Lines plan from measurements

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Rom, Nov 2, 2020.

1. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

I've watched an experienced boat measurer who used a laser total station and would put vertical stripes of tape on the hull to guide where he made measurements.

fallguy likes this.
  2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

A baseline is needed. But it doesn't need to the the same as the original baseline. It is semantics. Just a reference by which all others are measured...

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Agree, I said a base line, not the boat's base line but whatever the measuring man likes the better.
    When using a laser, the laser beam must be perpendicular to the boat longitudinal plane, so, no line on the hull is needed.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

A laser total station does not need to be perpendicular to the boat's longitudinal plane. A total station is essentially a land surveyor's tansit with a very accurate laser distance measurement device which digitally records the distance from the total station to target and the horizontal and vertical angles. The total station then calculates x,y,z coordinates of each recorded point.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

@DCockey you are right. I was thinking on a portable, light, laser to get individual points, not a cloud of million points. Using a big station seems totally unnecessary to me, for such a simple task. I'm talking about small boats.

7. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

gonzo, thanks for the information. It looks like a good, affordable alternative to a total station for boat measurement.

8. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

A total station is different than a laser scanner. A total station is similar to a land surveryor's transit with the addition of a laser distance measuring device. When the operator presses a button the distance, horizontal angle and vertical angle are recorded. The total station can then calculate and output the x,y,z coordinates of the point. I've helped measure several small boats using a total station.

The unit gonzo uses appears to be a good substitute for a total station when measuring small boats.

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Yes, it does

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.