Lines Drawing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by klowe34, Oct 22, 2012.

1. klowe34

klowe34 Junior Member

How do I make my lines drawing given just the basic dimensions of the boats
    Length
    Beam
    Draft
    Depth
    Freeboard
    Foscl
    Displacement

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Why would you want to make lines drawing of a boat, knowing those dimensions?

3. klowe34

klowe34 Junior Member

Im a sophomore in Naval Architecture and as part of an assignment, we are given these main dimension and we are to complete a lines drawing of a offshore supply vessel that satisfies those dimensions

4. daiquiri

Sorry for being curious more than helpful. See, back in days when I was a student (aerospace engineering) we'd also be assigned tasks of preliminary designing of various types of aircraft. But it would come at the end of a course, during which the professors would explain all the theory, procedures and steps necessary to perform a correct preliminary design of an airplane.
    Now, are you saying that you have been given a task like that without previously being taught how to draw lines plan of a vessel? I just cannot understand the sense of it? :confused:

5. klowe34

klowe34 Junior Member

We have gone over the basic grid form to make for our vessel, but we were not taught how to use autoCAD, the program we're to use to complete the lines drawing, or how to form our buttocks, waterline and hull form in the lines drawing. We have some background, yes, but I feel as though I don't know enough to complete a lines drawing for my vessel

6. daiquiri

So are you asking "how do I use the AutoCAD" or "how do I design an off-shore supply vessel"?

7. klowe34

klowe34 Junior Member

I am asking, what are the general steps (ex. how to make your grid, determine your water lines, buttocks lines and hull form) to making your lines drawing of a ship given the principal dimensions

8. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Are you required to use AutoCAD? Unless you're just copying a set of existing offsets to digital format I would use some free boat design software like Delftship.

http://www.delftship.net/delftship/index.php/downloads/viewcategory/3-delftship-software

There is another similar tool called FreeShip+ (DelftShip based on this), but I have not seen it around for some time and do not know if it's available any longer.

Thoroughly read the book play with the sample models and create your own hull from there. These tools have features to print all the lines you need and see your model in both 3D & 2D. AutoCAD isn't the ideal tool for boat design...mainly used for civil engineering (design of buildings, roads, bridges, etc.). There is an AutoShip add-on product that is available, but it's not free for students.

Good luck!

9. klowe34

klowe34 Junior Member

Yes, we are required to use AutoCAD. I've been told to "use an existing lines plane similar to the ship your designing" but I'm not completely sure how to do that

10. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

11. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Can you take this approach?

1. Design your boat in Delftship or Freeship.
    2. Export to .dxf
    3. In AutoCAD import the .dxf and add your notes, dimensions, etc.

If not and you must use AutoCAD 100% just go with it and work closely with your professor(s).

12. daiquiri

I will probably be bashed for this but here it comes:

Klowe34, one of essential parts of your future career will be the capability to autonomously solve problems even when the available data are scarce. Creative thinking and knowledge are the most valuable assets for a designer.
    If you feel lost in the task you've been given, because you fell like you haven't been given enough training to complete it, I believe the first step to do is to talk to your professor and ask him for clarifications, guidance or advice through your assignment. He is payed for that, and payed by you. Internet forums should be the last place where you should look for solutions of your school tasks, and I believe that it is wrong for us to act as your professors' substitutes. Let him do his job.

13. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Assuming this assignment is not a test, have you asked other students how they are approaching this assignment?

Do you know how to reproduce an exisiting lines drawing in AutoCad? If not you might start by learning how to do so. A common approach to designing a hull is to start with a design which is "close" and then scale and modify that design to meet the requirements for the new hull.

14. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Yes, don't be bashful in getting help from your professor. Your tuition = their paycheck so in a sense they're working for you. Boat & ship design is fun so don't get discouraged what ever you do. This web site has a treasure trove of info so search on forum topics & find book references. You'll find the answers. :)

15. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

It is entirely possible for something to be "taught" without a student in the class "learning" it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.