Maxsurf

Discussion in 'Software' started by KRL, Sep 5, 2010.

1. KRL

KRL Junior Member

Hey guys i am new to this forum so hiii!

I have a lines plan on Autocad and i need to calculate the volume of the hull in order to find the gross tonnage.

I have created a 3d dxf from the 2d lines plan in autocad by simply moving each section in the z direction to obtain a half hull 3d. I then saved it as a DXF and imported the dxf file into maxsurf.

I must say i am a beginner to Maxsurf. The importation works fine and i managed to generate a grid from markers, group markers by station, delete duplicate markers, sort marker stations and re-order selected markers.

My problem is that when i import the dxf the markers are out the grid box and away from the reference point location (yellow cross in a circle). When I then generate the trimesh I get two half mirrored about the reference point location instead of a complete hull. I tried importing a complete hull rather than a half but it still did not work.

I have no idea why this is happening and it is driving me insane! Could it be that I am not saving it properly in ACAD or something to do with the coordinates in ACAD??

Can anyone help please???

2. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

you can calculate the volume in manual way too. generate offset table from you lines plan, then use appropriate simpson's rule to get the area and volume.

Regarding Maxsurf, i think in ur autocad 3d lines, the origin is not set up correctly. check it in autocad, set the origin at the midship or at the aft pp.
    origin means X,Y,Z co-ordinate points should be 0,0,0
    UCS - just type in UCS to the command line - the select o
    (object) and moved the UCS to where it should go. -

you can take the help from manual "Learning Maxsurf.pdf" chapter 11 (Chapter 11 : Creating a Maxsurf Model from Existing Data)
    on this topic.If u dont have , u can download it from their website.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  3. KRL

KRL Junior Member

I have already worked it manually but it is a rather lenghty process so I decided to learn maxsurf as it would save time plus would confirm my hand caculation.
    I also did try follow chpt suggested and put the orgine at aft perpendicular this is why I cannot understand why it is not working properly.

Have you ever done this process before that is calculate hydrostatic with maxsurf from a lines plan in acad?

4. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

yap/// i did it to generate Tri-mesh surface to calculate hydrostatics.
    if u cant do it,, u can mail to support@formsys.com and attach the 3D lines plane too.. writing ur problem..hope u will get a reply soon.

5. udyacht

udyacht Junior Member

have you resolved the problem , if not ,may be i can help you !

6. b1ck0

b1ck0 Senior Member

After you imported 3d DXF did you set up your "Frame of reference" and "Grid Spacing" correctly ? I wonder if you can send me the DXF, because I want to gain some "fairing" experice. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.