line to inside planking in delftship/freeship or maxsurf

Discussion in 'Software' started by darlian, Feb 19, 2010.

1. darlian

darlian Junior Member

greetings...
    nubie from Indonesia here...i try to design a wooden boat in delftship and maxsurf.
    how can you get lines to inside planking accurately from the lines to outside of planking?
    thanks.

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Subtract the thickness of the planking from the length of the line.

3. darlian

darlian Junior Member

sorry, i do not understand, can you explain to me step by step? in delftship for example....
    thanks for the reply.

4. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Maxsurf has a skin thickness deduction option in the contours display dialog. To get this to work you need to specify a projection direction (i.e. inside or outside) and a thickness in the surface properties dialog for each surface. This means that different panels can have different thickness panels added to or deducted from their moulded lines.

Simiarly, the table of offsets will be created using the correct thickness deduction for each surface of the design.

The deductions are performed normal to the surface, rather than simply in the plane of the section. Simply deducting the skin thickness from the section line will give the wrong result in many cases.

5. darlian

darlian Junior Member

thanks for that mr andrew....
    but, i,ve tried many times in maxsurf...but skin thickness deduction and projection direction didn't give me inside planking hull (nothing change with the hull) or maybe you can explain to me step by step......

what i usually do is offset the lines outside planking in auto CAD in order to get the inside planking for the construction drawing..

i need to do this in delftship or maxsurf.

6. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Steps are:
    1. Make sure the surface normal direction is set correctly for each surface. Maxsurf doesn't know which is the inside and outside direction for each surface so you have to tell it by using the "outside arrows" function in the Display menu. If an arrow is pointing the wrong way (i.e. inside the hull), click on the circle at the head of the arrow to reverse its direction.

2. Set skin thickness and projection direction for each surface using the Surface Properties dialog.

3. Click on the Deducted Sections check box in the Display-> Contours dialog. This should display deducted sections in the Body Plan window.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.