Line plan fiberglass boats 8 - 12.5meters

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TP-Mike, Nov 24, 2005.

1. TP-Mike

TP-Mike Junior Member

Hi everyone,

I'm having difficulties understanding the line plan of boats we produce. I'm quite new to this, although having studied for it (never finished school, stupid!).

I do not have to design boats, but I have to modify the hull a small bit according our own experiences when driving in rough seas.

I just cannot remember how to relate to the profile, top view and front view.
    I'm looking for frame sizes at particular places, and I have managed to draw some, but when I move a frame to suit for example the engine compartment I have a hard time getting the exact measurements for this.

What I'm lookin for is actually a step by step guide that tells me which line refers to what line? Maybe it's because I'm to tired that everything blurs up....:confused:

Or maybe just one screenshot with some measurements that refer to each other.

I have the plans in CAD but somebody else made the design which has proven to be capable of extreme seakeeping.

Hoping you can advise me or have some great suggestions.

All the best
    Mike

2. spank

spank Junior Member

Get youself a basic book on yacht design. Skenes Elements of Yacht Design is a good one. Also, Lofting by Alan Vaitses is a good one.

3. CGN

CGN Senior Member

4. spank

spank Junior Member

That is a wonderful link actually, although I don't think it serves as a very good primer on lofting per se. It is probably the most clearly presented volume on small boat building out of wood that I have ever seen. Thanks for the link.

5. TP-Mike

TP-Mike Junior Member

Ordered

Just ordered one of the books. Thanks for the advice and in the meanwhile I´ve also figured out what went wrong.

The keel of the product does not have the same width as stated in the line plan. That´s why all my dims were of.

6. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

If you get the hull as an iges file you can use Rhino to section it and to make an offset from the outside of the hull to the inside (where the frames are).
    www.Rhino3d.com

7. h_zwakenberg

h_zwakenberg HullDrag/32 programmer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.