lindsay lord

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rapscallion, Dec 23, 2007.

1. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

does anyone know of a multihull built using the ultra light lindsay lord boat building method? I crunched the numbers and found a 23 foot boat would be lighter than FRP - and close to carbon fiber - for less than half the price.

Boat Strength by Gerr has some details, I was wondering if there was a place (other than lord's out of print book) I could get info.

2. Saylaman

Saylaman Junior Member

Thanks for the post, I'm also very interested in the Lindsay Lord method. I've been studying yacht design over the last few years (some formal study through Westlawn) and I'm just getting ready to start building one of my designs. I love my little 14 footer beach cat, but I want one big enough to crawl into a hull and sleep. I know there are hundreds of designs out there, but being a keen designer I have to put a design into practice and build it as part of my education. It seems as if a lot of hull thickness is purely to reduce visible deflection because ' deflection doesn't look nice' and not for structural purposes. Designing my own boat I don't mind some visible deflection and am keen to try something like Lindsay Lords method. I have thought of making the bridge beams stiffer so that the hulls are subject to less tortion. I'll follow this thread and I hope there will be some feedback from experienced builders.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.