lightweight Sailboat plans ~12f - so many out there

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Jasio, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Jasio

Jasio New Member

Hello,

I am novice sailor and new to this realm in the search for answers.

Since a couple of month I have this Idea in my head of building a sailboat and now that the Alaskan winter is approaching I want to move forward with it to get it ready for the next spring to come. I have some woodwork experience and want to learn more as I am tackling this project.

I am hoping to find some plans that will imply the following specs:

- lightweight ~100 pounds so I can pull it around with a bike trailer
    - versatile (rowing/sailing)

So far a stitch & glue plywood construction will most likely fit my needs, but as I approached to find the right design I was kind of overwhelmed by the sheer amount of options out there.

the following designs appealed to me:
    WineGlass Wherry http://www.pygmyboats.com/mall/WGWSPECS.asp
    CLC Jimmy Skiff http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/wooden-sailboat-kits/jimmy-skiff-rowing-sailing-kit.html
    Mud Peep http://www.devlinboat.com/mudpeep.php

Any suggestions? Also on resources for wooden boat building from plans. Looks like picking up a copy of Devlin's boat building will be a good Idea.

I appreciate you taking the time to peek in.

Cheers Mate
    Jasio

2. peterchech

peterchech Senior Member

Try the bolger cartopper u might find free plans online somewhere

3. peterchech

peterchech Senior Member

Just don't sheath the entire hull in epoxy it adds weight and is unnecessayr imho

4. peterchech

peterchech Senior Member

I mean fiberglass not epoxy

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

That WineGlass Wherry looks so pretty, but if you plan to put sails on it I would recommend adding some flotation volume inside.

6. Jasio

Jasio New Member

that wineglass wherry is also pretty expensive and does not get shipped to AK. My cousin had the same thought. The flotation idea is spiffy, does fiberglass/plywood float?

http://www.instantboats.com/cartopper.htm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/oneillparker/3033405607/in/photostream/
    looks like a beaut, thanks peter.

from another forum:
    I don't know about trying to safe on fiberglass though. Wonder if anyone had experience with that.

7. peterchech

peterchech Senior Member

Well I sheathed the entire outside of mine and have to say the hull is darn near bulletproof. But instead of weighing the 90 pounds it is supposed to, it weighs near 130. It was my first boat, and I realize now that such a small boat is never going to be in the type of conditions that require "bulletproof" construction. The number one reason I only use my boat about once a month is that it is so difficult to cartop it's not worth it except for an all day outing. So my next boat (be careful this stuff is addictive) will be built as lightly as possible because if I don't use it, what's the point? Anyway, I get lots of compliments on the lines, it is really a very pretty little boat.

8. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Summer Breeze...plans are free and the boat is a good one. Duckworks did a build of it when it won the contest a few years ago...A bunch have been built since then. Here is the home page and Here is the article of Duckworks' build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jasio

Jasio New Member

thanks lewis, any idea how much that thing ways? 60 pounds sounds unrealistic to me.

10. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

probably about 50% more...90 lbs or so. Depends on the ply used, the lumber for framing etc. I expect it doesn't include the sailing bits either. It was designed to use 2 sheets of 1/4" which if you use occume runs around 17 lbs/sheet, careful selection of the framing lumber to pick the lightest you can find etc...you might actually get it in under 60 lbs but fir ply runs about 30 lbs/sheet and using whatever you grab lumber...yeah...around 90 lbs. Skipping the chine logs might save a couple of lbs if you don't go overboard on the epoxy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.