Mr. Hacker's "White Cap"

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sands, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Sands

Sands Junior Member

Little lunch time project that is finally making way. What do you think?

It's all either 3/4" or 1/2" ply. All the structural elements are in 3/4 ply. Frames taper from from 2.5" at the sheer to about 4-5" at the keel. Min bottom frame section is about 3" deep.

All the parts are designed to be CNC routed out (still need to quote it) or hand cut from patterns. I suspect that CNCing the parts will save considerable time and improve the accuracy substantially.

I was thinking of butt joining the frames with a doubler that is pinned with dowels. (not all the doublers are layed in.) I did the transom frame with little notches for alignment, but that may present more problems then it solves. Opinions?

The CAD program is Pro/E.

Attached Files:

2. Sands

Sands Junior Member

Oh, the missing parts are just the mirror image of a part in the model. No need to add it to the model, just need to remember to order 2. :)

It will be skinned with ply / resin (WEST system method). Some of the parts (cabin cowls, etc.) are a PITA to model in Pro/E and are to be made out of finer stuff then plywood anyway.

3. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

Hey, do me a favor? when you get it built and launched and all sorted out, chain it to a stump onshore with a scale in the middle to measure how much thrust your combo is producing. Enquiring minds want to know.

4. Sands

Sands Junior Member

huh? Please explain.

5. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

Find a way to measure how much thrust, in pounds, you've got at WOT. I'm thinking of using the White Cap design for a project and am curious to know what kind of static thrust results in what kind of speed.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.