Sailcloth for cruising

Discussion in 'Materials' started by TeddyDiver, Mar 30, 2014.

1. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

I'm looking where to buy (in EU) dacron sailcloth. Going to need some 100 sqm totally. I'm familiar with Contender, Bainbridge or Dimension-Polyant but I'd like to know what you think of them and suppliers you know of? Any suggestions?

BR Teddy

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I find that most modern fabrics are too stiff to handle comfortably. They make some to look like cotton that is softer and easy on the hands. Trying to grab a slick wet sail during a gale is not what you want for cruising.

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Yes, that's what I'm looking for. Maybe it's best to order some sampels to compare..

4. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Don't forget that the newer ie stiffer cloths will have been more tightly heat set (rollered) to make the sail last longer, well hold it's shape longer. So the compromise is a newer type of cloth which is more stable versus a softer one which will need replacing more often if the shape is important. Woven polyester yarns assumed.

I'm not sure who makes the tan coloured sail cloth of the Drascombe Lugger but you may be after that type of cloth.

I'm not sure I would rule out even some of the laminates (but NOT Technora) for a long lasting mainsail. Note Sigma 33s' have been using these for years with good life - often Sobstad made.

5. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Yes, something that looks and feels cosy. The question is if there's any big difference btw the cloths of major brands?

Dunno how to sew :rolleyes: laminates so they are not an option.

6. bpw

bpw Senior Member

Even worse than wrestling with a stiff sail is trying to sail upwind in a gale with a sail that looks like a bag. Once the stiff cruising fabrics settle in they are not bad to handle, and give a far better shape in heavy air. Modern sailcloth also allows you to carry fewer sails since each sail can handle a much wider wind range.

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Got 2.5 litres iron genny for upwind work, reckon it's stiff enough.
    Back to the original question. Any opinions of the cruising low aspect dacrons?

8. bpw

bpw Senior Member

If upwind performance isn't very important I would go with whatever is reasonably cheap and recommended by the sailmaker. Standard clothes are fine for an un-sophisticated low aspect rig, no need to overthink it.

A good sailmaker will have better advice on cloth after talking to you than we will. We have whatever Neil Prydes standard cloth is, it was very stiff at first but settled in nicely after a few thousand miles., better to go a little too stiff than too soft.

9. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Just I don't want to settle with whatever. Neilprydes standard cloth is Challenge and they are closely affiliated with Bainbridge. You say It's very stiff so It's not so good for DIY sail making ie a PITA to feed it to short arm sewing machine.

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

11. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Thanks PAR, looks what I'm looking for.
    :)