Lighter weight boats ??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tunnels, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Mac 65?

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

By any chance was it the sales/finance/business guy that nearly threw something at you?

3. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Are your boats sold within china or built for export?

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

For the domestic market as well as for export !!
    When i say they need to be lighter its a case if doing a new laminate schedual for each boat to do away with gross amounts of chopped strand matt and replacing a good % with better glass that used less resin and is stronger over all . So being lighter can also mean the boats are stronger just they dont weight so much , done properly they can be built quicker as you can lay precut glass cloth heaps quicker then chopping the same amount with the chopper gun even pulling 2 or even 3 strands , Will Still use the gun but its job would be to wet out with mainly !,by reducing the resin content a saving , by being able to lay the glass faster another saving ! so over all with prices of glass differances there should be a saving on the resin and the labour
    Its possible to gain strength and stiffness by simply changing the possition of the layers of glass cloth within a laminate to make a core from the layers of chopped strand matt and if you do wet on wet laminates while you are doing that you can save resin +time =money at the end and you dont have to work harder to achieve these savings !

:?:

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Obese boats ,why do we need them ???

Just refresh this tread !
    The company has a 48 foot boat brand new and not one person in the last 8 months is the slightest bit interested in looking or buying it . I went out on the lake for a couple of rides and smiled each time .
    Number one the guy driving didnt have a clue what he had and how it should have been used ,
    number two it was like riding on a pregnant elephant lumbering along in the water !!.
    It was bought back to our show room months ago and sits in disgrace
    Its an obese ,48 foot ,hippo boat .
    Like i wrote long time ago the marinas are going to become clutted with all sizes of fat boats in coming years !

A couple of months ago we have had another brand of boat come to be anti fouled ,cleaned and a few minor repairs done
    The one we have now is a much better looking boat a newer design a little less hp and has a much higher top speed .
    Question !,how is all this possible ,the speed i mean from less hp !! hull is close to the same width but draught is shallower aaaah so its lighter weight !!

Manufactures will get the message one day if they havent already !!!

6. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

There you are !!

This boat was just over 30 feet a family boat so had all the usual stuff inside . It had a pair of 200 hp Yamaha's was in the mid 80 mph top speed . This was 1985 !!!:eek:
    The company i worked we made a few of these !

Attached Files:

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I tried this thread subject some time back here was one of my posts with some suggestions.
    04-12-2011, 02:20 PM

Frosty

Rep: 1811 Posts: 6,330
    Sounds like you designers don't know what to do and with all these new materials on the market.

A aerodynamically designed catamaran, solid fibre glass not balsa or composite, ribs of some kind acceptable 44 feet weight max 8 tons dry. ( no such thing as foam resin yet?)
    Low speed planing hulls 15 knots planing, max 30knts. 50 liters per hour max

Interior, light weight aircraft type plastic mouldings like a modern Airbus, all removable and replaceable --no wood what so ever, alluminium mouldings not angle and polycarbonate sheet or similar adapted with imagination. Seating free standing but securable in places of choice.

Bathrooms as pods but removable, tanks removable, light weight carpets throughout removable washable and replacable.

Toilets stainless steel not heavy pot, lightest plastics or carbon fibre or poly carbonate.

No windows in the lounge (its too hot here to care about whats happening outside) very thin upper super structure for weigh considerations. No bridge.

Galley, light weight wipe clean style white plastic and mouldings.

Air to air cooling for air con.

Twin deisels with surface drives with long hydraulics that can remove the shaft completely from the water meaning only fibre glass remains in the sea.

Dry main engine exhaust with air to air engine cooling. (I hate sea water).

Dipping rudders.

No fly bridge just a step up outside of aft of the lounge locating one dry steering station for all nav aids making a sleek low down look.

400,000 US

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Its a pacakge deal if you want to make it work properly !!

When i said it was a whole package deal about the weight thing and obese boats i had forgotten to mention they also need to be aerodynamicly designed as well ,lots less wind resistance , lots less water resistance .lots less of everything . !!:eek:

So light beer in aluminum cans !! skinny women , boobs inflatable on demand or they swim home !! snack food , no rug rats , only poly rope for the floating anchor ! :(

10. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Short beamy boat design is driven by marina fees. When boats were largely at moorings, it was not a very important issue to have a longer boat. Nowadays, they try to sell the most volume per foot of length. Length being what determines the docking fee.

12. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Light boat are not more exspensive to build !!! why should they be ?? tell me ,i want to know !!!! You using better glass ,you using less resin . you making a much better job . ! the internals are a fraction of the weight they were but still look the same ,The motors can be smaller and dont have to have huge fuel tanks to feed the hungry beasts ! With decks just up the usage of core materials and cut down on the amount of glassused .
    Plan out the lay ups for the hull you can still stay with solid glass bottoms just core the top sides and stern area etc etc
    Takes less time to lay an area of glass, core ,glass ,than all glass at maybe 2 or 3 times the weight .
    Combined all this with a better design and moves through the water easyer and much more efficent and modern , new ,trendy and up market !!!.
    What do you do for and old dog when hes done and worn out ? up take pity and put him down ! so line up all the designers that wont get off there butts and put a few down !. Try and relate the boat industry to the car industry,you cant because the car industry is constantly on the move designwise and looking for new trends and making cars more efficent and pushing the efficency barrow constantly .
    Boat people just accept it ! this is what it is and this is all you going to get !!
    It dosent have to be that way its just the die hards bleeting the loudest and mumble the most and its all we ever hear ! you cant do this and that wont work and i would touch that ,if its a boat it got to be white !! just like everyone else !!!. how often have you heard that !!

I need to take another pill and have a lay down !!! :eek:

13. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Advanced cores are expensive compared to $20/gallon polyester resin.
    Gas prices could sell efficiency now. In the past, a powerboat with more power would sell better than putting the money into advanced materials.
    It would be informative to do a spreadsheet for a 20-30 foot boat with the cheapest material layup, cost and weight, and the highest-tech and compare engine savings for equal speed. There are probably ranges where it would work and price/hp ranges where you wouldn't save enough.

14. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

advanced ??explain !!!

Advanced in what way ?? whats the matter with using Balsa ??
    its been used for as long as i can remember ! we just done a 90 foot boat and used 20 mm Balsa every where almost . it was the first time these guys had used so much core ! the boat is as solid as a rock you can walk anywhere even the the cabin sides and theres no movement any where . What do you call advanced core , foam i surpose !! there has to be a lot of improvement in foam before i would get to serious about using lots of it in any comstruction job ! its needs glass fibres running from one surface to the other so the skins stay in tact its shear strength and glass skin peelability is absolutely scary .:eek:

15. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

sigh :rolleyes: The thousands of boats out on the water using foam aren't enough evidence for you ?

You just need to have enough glass around it - you dont need the fibres in the foam at all. Its just there for compression

Glass wont peel off it if its strong enough in the first place, but feel free to promote your own strange little theory.