Curved Transom Bevel

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Pragma, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Pragma

Pragma New Member

I'm building a Glen-L utility and have drawn out the Transom. The plans call for a 13.5 degree angle on the bottom and 7 degrees on the sides. All edges are curved.

How do people cut this bevel? After doing some searching, I see a lot of people saying they use a table saw, but with all curved edges I don't see how that would work.

- Sabre Saw? (That seems like it would be inaccurate and wavy)

- Cut edges square with bandsaw or sabre saw, then plane off the angle during fairing?

Thanks!

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

It can easily be done with a jig saw and cut outside the line 1/8" or 1/4" then use a sander to remove excess to the line keeping the angle. I shoud say using a quality jig saw not a $19.99 cheapo. If you are just a little off, quality epoxy will fill and do the rest for you. Just sand off any high spots.

3. Pragma

Pragma New Member

Thanks for the reply.

So you are saying to cut the edge straight up and down with a jig saw, then bevel with the sander?

Or cut on an angle with the jig saw, and just clean up with the sander?

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

You can cut curves with a flat blade like on a skilsaw or tablesaw if they are not too small of a radius.

You can cut freehand on a tablesaw but it is dangerous.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Use a circular saw to make a rough cut and then finish with a low angle block plane.

6. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

You can use various saws, I prefer a jig. Cut on the angle then use sander.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.