Removing Interlux from a 100% Nylon jacket sleeve.

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by cyclops2, Dec 17, 2010.

1. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

What removes most of it, without attacking the 100 % Nylon outer surface ?

Thanks
    Richard

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

Hi, Richard. http://www.crosslinktech.com/Articles/100 How to remove cured materials.pdf .
    Personally, if it will fit, I'd chuck it in a lathe and shave/scrape off a minimum with a sharp blade. If you can stand losing a miniscule amount of material, bead-blasting will be very quick and painless unless there is buildup of the poly, then there is the risk of digging into the nylon while trying to get it all.
    I'm not going to pretend to know the information firsthand but this company says heating it will work. Now, enough heat will destroy the nylon...but maybe some heat and a scraper. Crosslinked, polyurathane doesn't dissolve well by solvents I know (MEK, acetone, alcohol. thinners, etc.)

3. bulk-head

bulk-head Junior Member

You could simply cut off both sleeves and make your jacket a Vest .

Or...take contrasting colours of International, load into a paint gun, then blast the jacket. The artistic colour blend with be appealing to many...sell on Amazon dot com

Or.. My buddy Homer operates the controls at the CERN Large Hadron Collider and has a sideline...weekends stuff...of turning out " black Ho's." Homer told me youre welcome to swing by, jump inside with your jacket on when he will throws the levers down and he will bombard the International Neutrinos out of your jacket. Might work...no guarantee..

http://glossynews.com/science-and-t...oncerns-over-cern-collider-making-black-ho’s/

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

Now, we have the additional question of how to remove drug-abuse induced ramblings without damaging underlying access to free expression forums. Sorry Richard, be patient and somebody might show with a better answer.
    I just thought of something... I don't think that the poly stuck too well to the nylon. Perhaps heat, alone, will swell it and make it easy to peal off.

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I suppose anything is worth a try, what have you got to loose.

I'm affraid nothing will seperate the two.

How about sewing a cool patch over it?

-Tom

6. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

Vaudville & sitdown comedy are doing well.

I will try the heatgun first.
    I tried www.interlux.com & interluxpaints.com..... both never loaded.

7. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

Heatgun in hand I look down & see the paint has a crack in it.
    Start scratching with my thumbnail. ALL GONE. My thumbnail.

Took enough off so I can wear it anywhere again.

Thanks for the " satire ".

Better to be lucky then know everything. Luck beats knowledge EVERY time.

MOOOO HAAAA HAAAAA

8. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Way to go cyclops!

I was going to suggest calling Interlux help line.

I've had good luck with it in the past but it sounds like you're on your way.

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.