Hull surface area

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by simship, Oct 19, 2014.

1. simship

simship New Member

Hi all. I've recently bought a 32' fishing boat mould for which I have no drawings. I've generated a table of offsets by taking measurements inside the mould and I've been able to calculate displacement and LCB using Simpson's rule. I'd like to calculate, reasonably accurately, the total hull shell area for weight and materials estimation. If anyone could point me in the right direction on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

To calculate the volume you utilize areas of the frames and calculates the integral by Simpson's method. Very well. If instead of areas you integrate the perimeter of the frames, you´ll get the hull surface.
    It's not a completely accurate method but it will be enough for what you need.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

You have private messaging and emails turned off, but if you send me your offsets I can import them into Rhino and give you a precise answer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.