Lifting the outboard when launching.

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by valvebounce, Jul 30, 2016.

1. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

In have a 1963 evinrude 18hp,It doesn't click when I lift it to launch.
    On the odd occasion when it has clicked and set,it will release with the catch at the front of the engine.
    On examination,the catch at the engine leg doesn't quite reach the dog/pawl connection
    by about 1/8" of an inch.The rods/wires don't seem to be bent or twisted,and occasionally it does work.The springs are in place and don't seem to be stretched.
    I can't figure out why it won't catch.I'm a bit wary of trapping my fingers when I operate it.
    Anybody had the same problem?

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member

I had an older Merc and it would only catch when the engine was in neutral.
    Is there a relationship between catching or not with your engine in forward or neutral

3. valvebounce

Hi Barry,
    I have only ever tried with it in neutral,occasionally it works.
    I have recently fitted a new impeller and fitted new coils.
    But even before I did that it wouldn't catch.
    I get the impession the mechanism is sticking somewhere,but I can't figure out where.
    Thanks for your reply
    "VB"

4. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

On quite a few small engines ie Mariner 4/6 etc the gear lever has to be in forward to lift the engine. It will then lock in the raised position, and requires actuating a lever/bar to lower. Some types have a plunger ie spring loaded pin which needs pulling to release. Check you are getting full travel on hinging the engine - so ensure there is no grit or dirt on the pivot pin. Even too much paint can stop it.

5. valvebounce

Thanks SS,
    It looks like I will need to have a closer look.I have a 6hp evinrude fisherman, and have the same problem with that.Maybe it's an evinrude thing.

I decided to use a 5hp yammy as the backup engine,it's got a lot more power than the 3.3hp evinrude,
    plus it has F/N/R.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.