Power boats x fuel prices?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Frosty, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ive just read that crude has hit 93.58-a world high.

As a power boat owner should I be concerened? I dont think this is temporary,--do you? Is the value of my boat being affected. I consider her to be reasonably economical but can still shift 1000 liter in 24 hours. Does this mean its value is increasing or decreasing.

How is this affecting power boat sales? new or used? If any?

Apparantly OPEC say they will not pump more and level out the price.

As every one will understand the price of fuel spreads its inflationary tendancies across every thing that gets delivered by transport ( hard to think of something that does'nt) Inflation is enevitable at a time when it is least welcome.

2. Vega

Vega Senior Member

They say that the price will rise shortly to $Us 100.:rolleyes:

3. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

I agree with Vega....!
    China is ready to pay 100$...!:mad:

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The "old" opec model of high prices then collapsing them to discourage alternate fuels seems to be dead.

Thats GREAT as aircraft grade jet fuel can be produced for about $30 a bbl from coal.Gasoline is a bit higher.

Much of the world is awash in cheap coal.

If the politicos are pressured the US at least can be off imported oil with the stroke of a pen.

All the oil sands that Canada mines and sells south are dwarfed by the US reserves , placed "off limits" by BJ Clinton.

Alaska desert oil and the rest of the states that value tourism , yet want other folks oil, CA Fl et all could simply accept reality and start drilling again.

China will probably be the leader in alternate tech , high tech induction and flywheel for 100mi auto range. Impossible in the USA due to the trial lawyers .

In China they would end up in a Re-education work gulag, a worthy end for every lier for hire!

FF

5. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Frosty
    My view is that recreational use of carbon based fuels will be increasingly regarded as anti-social.

Living in Melbourne, Australia provides some stark insight into what earth might become if we do not arrest climate change. We are now in the 11th year of a "drought". Our dams are running out of water and there are plans to build desalination plants to solve the problem. Fundamentally it adds to CO2 emmissions simply so we can survive. We keep a few trees alive in our garden by directing water from the washing machine on to them.

We are not permitted to wash our cars or hose anything other than plants for a few nominated hours each week. Neighbours will dob you in if you use water carelessly.

In Brisbane, Australia there is a major project to recycle all sewerage effluent through RO purification plants and pipe it back into selected areas for reuse.

Our major inland rivers are stuffed. They are basically stagnant puddles. These are rivers that a century ago had major inland ports. The irrigators along the rivers will get very limited water or none at all this year. Many are aiming just to get their trees to survive the summer. There is little prospect of making money.

I don't want to be alarmist - laughing. I just think there has not been much leadership in positioning our little globe for a sustainable future. In a few years China will relegate the USA to second place in world economies and then India will push it into third place. I am betting on Bangladesh pushing US into fourth place providing there is enough of it not covered by water to support its ever increasing population.

Can you imagine what the globe will be like when the 4,834,567,000 or so of us can get in our 500HP CO2 emmitting gas guzzlers and drive to the local Golden Arches for lunch. It will be paradise for all.

So enjoy fuel while you can. It is wonderful for Australia's economy. The little ozzie battler got to USD0.93 today and it is continuing to head north. Our economy runs on mining and demand has never been so good. Even if every one replaces their gas guzzlers with electric scooters the price of lead will continue to skyrocket and we are in good shape to benefit from that. Have you tried to purchase a stainless steel part recently. I wish I owned a Nickel mine.

Frosty I know for sure that you are not the first person to get concerned about the price of fuel and where it is going. I think there are many more and this fact alone will have a nagative impact on resale price of fuel intensive machines. I would bank on legislation regarding climate change or social conscience/pressure will force restrictions on fuel use before there is risk of it running out. I think Australia has good coal reserves for at least 400 years. If the climate modellers are close then it will not matter in 50 years anyhow.

I didn't set out to be controversial and maybe this post belongs on another thread. Just my observations and opinions.

Final comment- Could be a good time to buy shares in a lithium miner.

Rick W.

6. yipster

yipster designer

the dutch gov. calls the kioto treaty holy but study shows cant meet their own requirements
    in the forseseeable future so dont belive everything politicians tell you
    and with regular here now over € 1.50 the litre ( roughly $ 10.-? eh.. long ago that was dimes the gallon )
    i'm sure many share your concern Frosty, than again if you got the moneyyyy...

7. Vega

Vega Senior Member

If you like motorboats start looking at British market resale price. This will not only influence them, but also the new huge taxes on diesel. Diesel for Boats has been excepted from regular taxes and it is much cheaper than diesel for cars. In a year or so things will change.

I believe you are right. The trend has already begun here. For many years I have made mountain motorcycle rides as a hobby. There was quite a large number of riders in Portugal, people that liked to go fast, but that most of all enjoyed nature, the wilderness and a little bit of adventure. Nowadays all the guys are changing their motorbikes for mountain bicycles. The change is not yet motivated by exterior forces (law, or strong public disapproval) but by the inner conviction of each rider that there is something wrong and selfish in bringing pollution to the pristine and unspoiled places they love. I believe that the public disapproval is coming next, for the ones that are less sensible.

8. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Oh - please - no not THAT..... you mean we are all going to wind up living in places that are like Melbourne!?!:eek:
    "Honey...go turn off the sprinkler...!"

;)

It's also worth noting that the AUD ain't heading North... the USD is heading South. The Ozzie has in fact remained steady against most other currencies for some time.

I too share your thoughts that it will be social pressures that are most influential in shaping peoples recreational pursuits - reality rarely has much to do with the way we live our lives.

The current hype over climate change is a constant source of frustration to me. It's a simple fact that our planet is warming up. It has been for thousands of years. We are in the warming phase of a cycle that can be tracked back for millions of years. It's also true that the rate of change is greater than our planet's seen in the past, but whether we've had any influence on that rate (or whether we could have any influence) are still very much open for debate. And yet many high profile agitators state it as if it were fact. In a few thousand years, I guess we might know one way or the other.

As to Frosty's original question..... I think the answer - for all the reasons I've eluded to - has to be yes .... I reckon boat resale prices may suffer as a result of the social pressure (justified or not) to be seen to be "green".

Sorry... my rant over now...:D

9. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Historically most "droughts" run their course in about 20 years.

20 years is long enough in most folks lives to believe "The End is Near".

The planets historical record shows there have been many periods that were MUCH warmer than now , and MUCH cooler.

Since we are in an "inter-glacine " period ,the end to global warming wont be much fun.
    Some folks might think 2 miles of ice on NYC would be an improvement , but it would cover much of the farmland too.

All the climate models are based on computer models , none can be back worked to show the ACTUAL .6 of an inch the oceans have risen in the last 100 years.

I do believe the world is warming , but hardly have the hubris to think its Mans "fault".

97% of the greenhouse gas is water vapor in clouds, and only a tiny portion of the 3% is carbon based.

The real question is "How was NOW " selected to be the perfect climate, in light of the historical record?

The marine market has adopted by calling a TSDY (twin screw diesel yacht) a "trawler" which is more PC.

FF

10. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Please, please, please, don't get me started!!!

Oh good, none of you did. Phew!!!!:p

Pericles

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Frosty, You are safe if you run diesels with direct injection. Coconut oil is a replacement. It solidifies at around 20-24 deg C, so pre-heat to 70 deg C

(DO NOT do this with diesel in the system as is close to its flash point!)

I am designing to use this fuel in later years when "oil peak" causes global panic.

12. Willallison

Not sure what cummins (etal) would have to say about that... at least from a warranty point of view...?

It's true that 70C is close to diesel's flash point (a little over in fact) but it still needs an ignition source as it falls well short of diesel's 210C auto-ignition point

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Will, It works! I have driven a 91 landcruiser that has been on CNO since new & no problems even without fuel pre-heat in it. It is based at Honiara, SI. No S emissions, smells nice, like cooking fries or whatever.

Precautions include filtering to remove any particulate matter & condensate - water.. To get more info google CNO or coconut oil but wade thru all the US sites selling it as a health food. Your fuel is good enough to eat & cook with!

14. Willallison

I don't doubt that it works - just caution that it would probably void ones warranty.

FF would be all for it - we've always said he was (coco) nuts...;)

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Sorry Will, Lunch was needed, low gauge was flashing.

I guess in the scenerio presented by many. No fossil fuel, or bl..dy expensive, & with CAT declaring drastic measures to cope with anticipated US Recession & the US division of Hardies doing the same, I ask What warranty, with whom? if those savvy/shrude (spell?) operators are near the mark?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.