Lifelong dream

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by KnottyBuoyz, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Finished up the long panels finally! Wohoo! They're all tucked away till they're needed. Next I have to turn my attention to the frames and bulkheads. These are gonna be fun puzzles to solve!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some will be easier than others. I don't know which ones I can fully assemble and set aside and which ones I have to install in the boat once it's flipped. That'll take a little research.

[​IMG]

About another 2 weeks and this thing might actually start looking like a boat!

1 person likes this.
  2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

3. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Nice! You are way more excited about actually building than I am. ha ha ha It's good to see such progress and enjoyment.

4. KnottyBuoyz

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Thnx Fella's. The words of encouragement are welcome and appreciated.

The Beaver **** yesterday (Gov't PayDay) so there was no boat buildin' goin' on. Instead I had to drag the ole' woman through a horrendous storm to get to a coffee sale at Giant Tiger store, getting my windshield smashed in the process! Well it wasn't that bad, a big stone chip is more like it!

Tonight I glued up my first bulkhead.

[​IMG]

That's it. I know it's not exciting as some threads. It'll get better, I promise. Same thing tomorrow then I'll be able to do a few of the smaller frames.
    [/FONT][/FONT]

1 person likes this.
  5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Don't sell yourself short. This is a d@mn good thread.

6. KnottyBuoyz

Thanks HTD ;)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Saturday morning in the boat shed was pretty productive. I got two of the main frames laid up and glued.

[​IMG]

The one in the foreground is Frame C which forms the bulkhead between the v-berth and the head. The second one back is Frame F which is just behind the helm seating positions.

[​IMG]

And waaaaaaaaaaaay down at the end is Frame E which forms the main cabin bulkhead forward just below the wind screens. E will be the biggest and hardest to handle. I have to do it in two parts and when finished it'll stretch from the bottom of the keel to the top of the cabin roof. This is Frame E. Not glued yet.

[​IMG]

Back out to the shed this afternoon to see what else I can puddle away at.
    [/FONT][/FONT]

7. KnottyBuoyz

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Saturday afternoon in the boat shed was sorta productive too. Some nice shiny bits showed up! I like shiny bits!

[​IMG]

I have to say Mr. Yanmar makes a butt ugly control panel. I know I can do better. (that's the smartass in me coming out, cocky lil' pecker that I am!)

[​IMG]

So after an hour of measurin' and figurin' and some more measurin' and then some drawin' I think I got it now.

[​IMG]

I suppose I could have just put the measurements directly into the CAD program but what the heck, got out the ole' drawin' things and went old school on it. Now I can draw it in CAD and feel confident I got it right (I hope). Standby.... :p
    [/FONT][/FONT]

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Fantastic Knotty,
    Just as well I scan the recent posts occasionally else I would have missed your excellent thread... Maybe we will meet in Melanesia some time... Congratulations on joining in with a big project...

Are you planning to live-aboard and cruise?...

9. KnottyBuoyz

Thanks for the kind words Mas. They're appreciated.

Cruise mostly. Eastern Seaboard US, Great Loop, Bahama's. Down East Loop and the Great Lakes. I'd like to have the boat floated over to the UK and cruise the canals there then EU for a couple of years. The wife wants to go back to Manila so maybe get it shipped over there. You never know we might end up in your backyard someday.

Thanks for lookin' in.

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Good on you... Enjoy...

11. KnottyBuoyz

Doh! :p

[​IMG]

12. KnottyBuoyz

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Ok, let's try this again.

This is the flipside of Frame E, the side that'll face into the head and v-berth. Cosmetics are a bit more of an issue here so we took our time and thought it through a bit more.

What I did....

I saturated the plywood and let it sit for a good 10-15 minutes
    laid the cloth out and thoroughly soaked it with epoxy working from the center outwards
    placed the peelply on top and again worked it from the center outwards

I had plenty of epoxy dripping from the edges this time. The peelply shows me where there are dry spots which I can easily go back and add some more epoxy. There weren't many this time. I decided to leave the plastic film off to see how it works without it. I guess that's just an old habit.

Port side, it's the opposite side here that caused the problems before. None this time. This side is also glassed up to the bottom of the window frame because this is where the head/shower will be.

[​IMG]

Up close port side

[​IMG]

stbd side, not one bubble in sight.

[​IMG]

Upclose stbd side

[​IMG]

We'll pull the peelply off tomorrow and see how we did.
    [/FONT][/FONT]

13. KnottyBuoyz

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]At near 100 degs in the shed it didn't take long for the poxy to kick over and harden up.

Result? Absolutely flawless! :D

[​IMG]

I apologize for the crappy picture. That's the best my iPhone will do and I'm having trouble hooking it to my laptop so I couldn't Photoshop it at all.
    [/FONT][/FONT]

14. KnottyBuoyz

Update: Supplies received. Boatbuilding will begin again shortly. Standby. :)

15. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

A most enjoyable thread. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.