Lifeboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by PAUL XAVIER, Jan 6, 2016.

1. PAUL XAVIER

PAUL XAVIER Junior Member

I wonder what is the material used for construction of a lifeboat.
    What is its density?
    For a closed dumb lifeboat (dimension 10x3.5x3.5) constructed using this material, what will be the approximate lightship displacement?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Your questions are too broad in scope to answer properly. Several materials can and have been used in lifeboat construction, though 'glass is quite common now. Are you a student and is this a program presented problem?

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

GRP of a sufficient thickness will roughly be 3 lbs per SQ foot , about 1/2 inch thick.

Decide on the surface area and multiply.

Then add fuel /water tanks , engine , batteries and radios.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

"3 lbs per sq foot, about 1/2 inch thick" seems a fairly accurate weight for the panels, if that figure takes into account resin, but also you should take into account the weight of the reinforcements (frames, longitudinal girders, deck beams, deck girders,....)
    For the lightship weight you need to "add fuel / water tanks, engine, batteries and radios," and many other weights (engine, anchor, deck gear, steering gear, shaft, propeller ...? )

5. PAUL XAVIER

PAUL XAVIER Junior Member

Thank you for your replies
    @PAR yes I am a student and its for research purposes,actually nothing related with lifeboat.
    I just want to include an enclosed body to deal with oil spillage issues.

@TANSL,@FAST FRED There is no engine,radio etc although there will be internal strengthening members.

I have made a successful small prototype using plastic and glue.But that can never be taken to ocean environment.So I just want to add up details about the approximate lightship and dimensions of this equipment in the thesis.

And in t/m3 unit I got GRP's density around 1.5.

I really appreciate your replies :)

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

1.5 t / m3 seems an extremely high figure for the GRP.
    I am sure that you will have to add some other items on the lightship weight, besides hull and internal strengthening members. If not, we are not talking of the lightweight but something else.

7. Heimfried

Heimfried Senior Member

According to my sources 1.5 t/m³ is not high. Resin without fibre is about 1.2 t/m³, glass fibre about 2.5 t/m³.

Depending on the ratio resin/glass the density should bee between this values. Mostly it is said to be 1.8 t/m³.

hoytedow likes this.
  8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Heimfried, maybe you are right. The actual data that I have is that a panel, with 33% by weight of fiber, 13.8 mm thick, weighs 6.65 kg / m2 without resin.

hoytedow likes this.
  9. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

My guess is that the completed boat, without passengers, fuel and other stores will weigh in at about 4.0 mt. Fully loaded, it will weigh two to three times as much, depending on its passenger compliment and expected range.

10. DouglasM

DouglasM Junior Member

You can always buy a used one for a few thousand.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.