Lifeboat from the Mauretania 2?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Musher, May 20, 2008.

1. Musher

Musher New Member

Hi Guys,

I don't know if ayone here can help but last year I bought a ship's lifeboat conversion "Capricorn" that is reputed to have come from the liner Mauretania 2. It was converted in the early 50's to a motor sailor cruiser and then later just to a motor cruiser. I am currently totally refitting the inside and having stripped it down to the hull inside there are no identification plates.

My problem is that I recently discovered that when the new Mauretania was launched it had wooden lifeboats and mine is galvanized steel. Does anyone know if steel boats were added during its wartime service and then changed in 1947 when it was refitted, if so that would fit with the dates of conversion of "Capricorn".

When stripping the paint from the old original gunnels at the prow various stamped and engraved markings were revealed. On the Starboard side deeply engraved it says 28 0X9 0X3 85 = 54 PERSONS. The 28, 9, and 3 I know are the internal measurements of the original boat which could lead to a coefficient of fineness of 85 but that should calculate to 58 persons. Forward of these markings is a stamped B T with a crown between them which I presume is a Board of Trade stamp? Below this is a faintly stamped 3 45 and below that again an 8. On the port side it reads 5680 54 PERSONS then more faintly MW1 MARK IV - 039. Any help with deciphering these markings would be greatly appreciated.

Any other information about the lifeboats from the Mauretania II would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Musher

Attached Files:

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

54 persons is about right - you got to put yer engine in somewhere, presuming she was powered! As for the rest, memory has dimmed but next time home I'll check up on what I've got if anything!

3. Musher

Musher New Member

Yes it's probable that it had a propeller from the start because the shaft passes through the sternpost rather to the side of it. There has been mention that it was fitted with Fleming Gear ( manually operated levers to turn a propeller) although I don't know if that would also take the place of 4 people?

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Might do but I doubt it, engine is more likely, but this makes the date suspect!! Most motor lifeboats were post WWII!

5. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Musher, could you email a better resolution of the pict to my email adress; knsand(a)0nline.n0 (just letters), my father was at sea for most of his working life, and he's pretty "experienced" (Looks better than "old", if he reads this... Head's clear as glass, not cut by his tongue either...), also some service on various ships during the war. I'll see him tomorrow (pretty late). Maybe he can pick some information out of that. But I believe the Mauretania would have had wooden boats, at least from the beginning, a replacement or upgrade is more likely.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.