Licensing Hull Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by LostInBoston, Apr 6, 2017.

1. LostInBoston

LostInBoston Junior Member

Hello all. I am curious if anyone has done, or heard of a Naval Architect or manufacturer licensing a hull design or component. There have been a few stepped-hull patents lately. Theoretically, those step designs could be licensed and used in another Naval Architects overall design. What are your thoughts on the concept? Thanks

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Henry Scheel patented a keel that bears his name. Several boat manufacturers have licensed it so it has been done. Other designers often patent some feature or other but most are minor modifications and not a completely new innovation. I think designer Schultz of Shannon Yachts patented the Reverse Deadrise Hull but that technology has been around for ages so his patent must have very limited claims. Only successful patent infringement suit of a general design I'm aware of is the Hinkley Picnic boat and that is only because Hinkley has deep pockets and the small builders they intimidated had very shallow pockets.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.