Library of Links &

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Willallison, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

As I look through the posts on this forum, I'm often amazed at the amount of info that can be accessed - usually by way of links posted by members (like this one from Yipster http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~fsinc/yachts/spreads/fred.htm )
    And sometimes calculators and the like, often in spreadsheet form.

The problem is finding these links at a later date. Which brings me to suggesting that we have a thread or section which is like a library, where members can post links to calculators etc.
    It would need to be done by participants as opposed to Jeff - he does enough around here already! :D

So whatcha think?......

2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

You know, you might have a pretty good idea there. Sites like the above are not often submitted to the existing directory portion of our site ( http://directory.boatdesign.net/ ) where most sites tend to be submitted by their webmasters and the majority are commercial in nature. I bet there are a lot more resources like the above which folks have bookmarked that could be shared and collected based on a forum for “useful and interesting sites I’ve found” where someone posts “I’ve found this great spreadsheet – have you found similar... or even better?”.

One danger that comes to mind is that if we create a category for “sites to visit”, it could attract spam and a lot of people who visit and/or register just to promote their own site, post once with their URL, and leave. (for example 70% of the sites which are submitted to directory.boatdesign.net are rejected as duplicates or triplicates or simply way off topic) I suppose that could be dealt with by requiring so many posts before being allowed to post in the 'link' forum though.

At this point I still envision on some regular basis entering them into a further categorized directory as a hierarchy becomes apparent, but a coexisting forum might be great to browse as well because of being able to see who submits the links or even sorting by ‘thread starter’ and seeing the discussion which my be generated.

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Jeff,
    As always, there seems to be even more work involved for you when one of us comes up with a 'great new idea' :(
    As you suggest - perhaps a new category under "Technical Resources" in the directory....

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

One very positive thing about the forum as a means to collect and share additional resource links is that it has a sense of community and leads to discussion about a link which might encourage far more people to submit sites they know about... the difficult to find sites which are not so easy to find already in google.

5. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

This is a really good idea if not to much trouble, and so is the minimum number of posts to post a link (darn I haven't regained my senior citizen status, been busy lately :D ) Any way, I've had to dig through the posts several times allready for links, and this would be great, there's a wealth of info there. Now, where's that #*&@ link I was looking for? :D

6. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

OOPS!! I am a senior again! :D

7. yipster

yipster designer

a possible link?

[​IMG]
    global sea water temperature in F. and this pic refreshes? and it does but "real time" runs 24hr behind here and its still cold :mad:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu i traced back as possible source for those free real time weather images and data. Hurricane and tropical storm images, free detailed local weather and water info i've seen. interesting and maybe worth putting as faforite on a laptop when sailing? who knows more about this?

8. yipster

yipster designer

ah, the warm water is coming this way i see on the chart above :rolleyes:
    i was paging through the old boat favorites in my explorere and found this link: http://www.sailingusa.info/cal__avs.htm for some more boat calculators, rope knots and more.

9. yipster

yipster designer

10. yipster

yipster designer

11. marinedummy

marinedummy Junior Member

good site

well if your going to have a library of sorts then that physics one that was reccomended is really good. Know of any marine electrical systems websites?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.