LH to RH drive conversion

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by hyperdog, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Tahoerover

Tahoerover Junior Member

That is true for the liberty series you posted but the VD in question is a standard old 72C.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I don't know where that information comes from. The casting on the pump has the instruction embossed in it for left or right hand turning engines. I have rebuilt dozens of them, and they all require the pump to be dialed for engine rotation. If you are refering to Liberty Series or TwinDisc, then that is a totally different transmission. He has a 10-18 which is the old nomeclature for a 72 series. Whoever gave me a bad point reputation and added "that is rubbish", please read the manual carefully before insulting someone who is right.

1 person likes this.
  3. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Hyperdog, you may want to contract the manufacturer directly.

4. Bglad

Bglad Senior Member

I think the confusion here is that the 10-018 is different than the Liberty model in the brochures. The subject transmission can only turn the direction of the engine but the pump must be set-up for the proper rotation. If the engine is right hand then the pump must be oriented for right hand rotation and vice versus. The liberty looks very much like Twin Disc and ZF transmissions which I think are indifferent about there output rotation.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.