What is a Maccas?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by El_Guero, Jan 27, 2013.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

It's also a British thing they call McLaren cars " Maccas" and Mercedes "Mercs" but sounds like "Merks'. Go figure.
    I've been in Australia a couple times,and it seems most things Mc or Mac are called Macca-and with the preponderance of slang it's no surprise.

"Out of interest, Canadians go with "Mac-ERS." I've never heard of this...

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

We Aussies have many slang expressions, it is a way of life, but the best things to eat in Mac Donalds is the cardboard boxes, I am sure they are more nourishing than the burgers anyhow...

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Macca's is "Strine" (Australian ) for MacDonalds, Bikkies is Strine for Biscuits,
    Brickie : bricklayer
    Bushie : someone who lives in the Bush
    Chewie : chewing gum
    Chokkie : chocolate
    Footy : Australian Rules football

get the idea ? remove all bothersome "extra" letters on those long words.

Its in the ideal of the story about an Englishman who went on a long cattle drive with an old Aussie (Australian) Stockman
    On the first day, the Englishman went over to the campfire and said "Good Morning"
    The Stockman grunted.
    On the 4th Day, the Englishman said "Where the new toilet roll ?"
    The stockman pointed at his left saddlebag.
    On the tenth day, the Englishman said "Look - that must be the Homestead"
    The stockman nodded.

After the trip had finished, the Englishman was talking to the property owner.
    "It was a really interesting experience" the Englishman said "Bob the stockman really knew the country. I would have liked to do the return trip"

The property owner looked at him seriously
    "yeah, its a shame he couldn't stand all the constant chatter"

more at

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

5. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

We call it mcshit . The only good thing about it is if you lose a cheese burger and find it 2 years later it looks and tastes the same as when you got t.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.