Lets put an Asymmetrical Spinnaker on a Topper!

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by dylantorquerol, Aug 12, 2010.

1. dylantorquerol

dylantorquerol Junior Member

Well, I have been wanting to do this for a while. Do you guys think it is possible to put an Asymmetrical Spinnaker on a 12' Topper Monohulled Sailboat? I already have the systems designed, with a one-line retrieval and launching system. My only problem, is where can I get a 50-60 square foot spinnaker (asym.) at a reasonable price? :?: :?: :?: :( Also, do you think I will need shrouds to stop my rig from breaking? I am only 100 pounds so I think I would capsize before my rig breaks. So where can I get this spinnaker?

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

The answer is yes it can be done-see the 12' skiff picture below and the 12' R Class picture below. Now, whether you should or not with your current rig-I'm not sure. You should go to a sailmaker and discuss it. Have any other Topper class people done it?
    You can go to the members list and PM "ggguest"(Jim) -he could definitely help you.
    --------
    Here's a Topper Topaz(12.6') with asy spin: http://www.sailpower.com/sp/features/topaz/index.html

Attached Files:

3. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

It was done a couple of years ago by Mike from the North Sails Service Loft in Costa Mesa. I believe he used an old 505 kite that he recut.

I have no idea if it worked well, or at all.

4. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

I've seen plenty of broken Topper spars with just the main, so if you are just using a standard one the smart money is yes, you can break it. Don't forget that the leverage on the mast is your weight times the distance from the mast foot, so if you're going downwind hanging off the back its getting on for three times what it is going upwind

5. Munter

Munter Amateur

It has been done. We used to use toppers as trainer boats in the mid nineties and as instructors, had the time to muck around with things like this The boat is still slow. Have fun with it if all the parts are free but save your money for a project with real potential.

6. boybland

boybland Junior Member

Get the sail off an X3 http://www.sailextreme.com/
    The one I bought secondhand has retrofitted stays which seem to be good in heavy weather, they are just made of some kind of low stretch rope, they do seem to do a good job of taking a bit of the strain when the weather gets messy.

7. dylantorquerol

Wow thanks! The x3 spinnaker is the way to go. I will try it stayless first then use stays if needed. I don't know if I need to make a retractable pole if the foot isn't too long. That will simplify the setup and cost.

8. boybland

boybland Junior Member

I don't know how long the fordeck or mast are on the topper but a bit of simple geometry should allow you to work out what length sprit you need to get the right length on the long side of the triangle.
    The X3 just uses a short piece of alumnium tube about 1 metre long bolted to the foredeck.
    The retraction system is fairly simple and seems to be similar to that used on most skiffs and it just retracts into a long skinney nylon bag laid along one side of the cockpit well.
    The sheets are a single piece of rope that comes back to the very back corners of the boat across the back and then back around to the otherside, it works quite well but the excess rope can get annoying in the way sometimes.

9. dylantorquerol

As mentioned above I already have my halyard and retrieval system worked out. The halyard is continuous being also the retrieval system, so no extra loose line. The halyard will also pull out the pole if needed. The sprit will be on a bungee so once the halyard is released it will come back in. The retrieval line will run from the cockpit through the back of the retrieval sock, through the first retrieval patch on the kite, and tied to the top patch. Simple!!! :) lots of line!

10. dylantorquerol

Ok, one problem, I just E-mailed the X3 website, and a new Spinnaker will come out to almost $1,000 shipped. :( WHOAH!!!! I can't afford that for a little spinnaker! Any other ideas for a MUCH more reasonably priced similar gennaker? (Same thing as an asym. kite)

11. boybland

boybland Junior Member

Ouch!

I bought the whole boat secondhand for NZ $850 :)
    No idea what they cost new...

12. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

Well its going to have the same amount of work and the same amount of material in no matter what class its for, so its liable to cost about the same... If you can find a much bigger kite one that's been thrown away shredded in the middle and you can get a triangle out of the top, the size you need, then get a sewing machine and put some sort of rough tack and clew on yourself that will be about the only cheap option... At least kite cloth can be handled by most half decent domestic sewing machines. Obviously the panel layoutt will be rubbishand it will set badly, but do you really care?

13. dylantorquerol

Well I have found a sailing Kayak called the Triak. This is a 20' sailboat/kayak with a 47 square foot spinnaker. It costs $199. The only problem is that they won't sell it to me because they only sell them to registered Triak owners. What to do?

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

--Look here may have something you can use-or make work:

http://nationalsail.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=10

--Have you googled "used spinnakers" or "used sails"?

--You might try here-they have kits and may have used or partially finished small spinnakers....http://www.sailrite.com/
    I would think a good resource in the UK might be "Yachts and Yachting"'s forum and/or the classifieds: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/community/classifieds/
    especially since they've taken over "Dinghy Sailing" magazine

15. dylantorquerol

Nope. Those are wayyyyyyy! too big!!! I have googled everything and no one makes anything other than X3, Triak, and the Concept 302, all of which are unavailable to to my information. :( HELP!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.