Let's hear it for scotch

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by troy2000, Aug 9, 2010.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Happiness is running out of beer, then remembering you have a bottle of scotch stashed in the pantry.

I generally stay away from hard liquor nowadays; I have enough Indian blood to make me and whiskey an iffy pairing. I could tell some stories from my younger days to back that up, but most of the witnesses are gone now... and I see no reason to testify against myself. :D

At any rate, I suppose some people wouldn't be impressed by opening a bottle of Dewars and sticking their nose over it. Maybe I'm easy; to me it smelled like smoky candy, I'm on my second on-the-rocks, and headed happily for bed in a few minutes.

1 person likes this.
  2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Scotch is great if you hate licking envelopes. Oh, you meant booze. It is still good for getting the taste of the glue off your tongue.

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

When I do Scotch...it is usually "The Glenlivet" and only when I am feeling particularly rich...so I haven't had any in years. Rum is my poison if I'm not simply having a beer.

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I drank Dewars for many years until I started experimenting with pricer stuff. Now it tastes like embalming fluid to me (not that I've tried that).

Stick with the Dewars and save your money for better beer.;)

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I used to know a retired Air Force pilot named Howard, whose younger son was a scotch snob. The son threw a fit one day when he came over, because Howard was out of Glenlivet and they had to drink something else.

The next time the kid came to visit, Howard had forgotten to buy more Glenlivet. So he grabbed the old bottle, and filled it with Johnny Walker Black Label. When he poured it for his son, the idiot took a few appreciative sips and said, "see the difference, Dad? This is real scotch!"

I'd have busted him, but Howard was a better man than I am. He just nodded gravely, and made a mental note to save the Glenlivet for himself from then on.....:D

I'm not a connoisseur or a scotch snob, and I've certainly never turned down any Johnny Walker. But even I could have told the difference.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Dewars?

Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Dalwhinn or Bowmor Mariner (to stay in the picture), when it MUST be Whisky. A good Rum is not bad either from time to time (once every other year), but a fresh draft König Pils at 6°C is my favourite.............

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

An ad painted on a brick wall in New York City.

Attached Files:

8. larry larisky

larry larisky Previous Member

vodka, bad cheap vodka is the way to go.
    you get wasted fast, you forget fast, you can't screw with that which is a good thing against std's.
    why buying expensive booze, the result at the end of the day is the same anyway.
    but i am talking about my end of the bottle, some are more lucky, they can drink the best, and stop there.

9. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Whiskey, the best medicine known to man....:cool:

My favorite is Johnny Walker black label.
    However, when I want to spoil myself I get me a bottle of Dimple Haig 15 years old.

10. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

I once swiped a bottle of scotch from my dad's boat, figuring he'd forget that it existed.:rolleyes: I was 13 years old. A friend & I mixed it with the brandy & tequila that he'd swiped from his parents. :eek:
    Since then, I turn green from the smell of scotch! Rum is the only hard stuff I go for, now. But I'm no expert on quality, it all tastes good to me!:D

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I once built a garage and deck for a retired Danish gal, up in Sugarloaf (outside of Big Bear, CA). Every evening, she would invite me in for a scotch on the rocks at the end of the day. I don't remember the brand, but she drank good stuff.

One evening, she poured me a drink from a different bottle. She watched me intently while I took a few sips, and asked, "what do you think of that?"

I told her it tasted different, but was still good, and she said, "oh, wonderful! Do you mind if I give you that from now on? It was a gift from some very dear friends, and it cost them a horrible amount of money. But I can't stand it, and I hate to see it go to waste."

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.