hull collage

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by safe passage, Apr 18, 2015.

1. safe passage

safe passage New Member

I was given some scrap pieces of 5 lbs core board and was going to give a try at resin. This will be my first attempt. I have checked out to you tube videos available on the topic. My hope is to build a little dingy. I don't have sufficient pieces to complete whole project and was wondering if I used marine ply for remainder( above water line ) if it would be ill advised.

To further pick your brain , as I could not find reference anywhere else, on a larger scale vessel would it work to integrate the two very different hull materials side by side and glass them together as one. I was wondering if temperature contraction and expansion would be the gravest factor. Thank you for your time.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

You'll have to be a bit more specific about what you're attempting, as the very broad generalities you've listed, don't offer much to guess at. Material choices are mixed and matched all the time, though it's an engineering issue for the most part. Plywood isn't a good core material choice, mostly because of it's weight, but it certainly has been done.

Maybe you should start with the basics, such as what brand 5 pound foam do you have, what dinghy design are you going to build, etc.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.