Left handed propeller

Discussion in 'Props' started by Daan, Sep 20, 2020.

1. BillyBudd

BillyBudd New Member

Excellent idea Kermit :), we seem to be travelling the same road! I was thinking about installing a Go-Kart Forward reverse gearbox and using reverse as the forward gear but then like a buffalo hoof to the head, it suddenly struck me that all I need do is reverse the orientation of the motor - which seems simple if using a belt driven shaft.

So at the moment I'm thinking I'll use a Go-Kart Torque converter and Forward Reverse gearbox with a belt drive system. Reverse would be a bad idea anyway because of the gear reduction. Now trying to find how to source a drive shaft to fit and ideally one that can fit to a standard through-hull propeller shaft that is mounted on the back of the keel at the stern.

I did find a cheap strimmer kit that included a left-handed propeller as an attachment Aluminium Alloy Boat Propeller For Brush Cutter, Multi Tool, Chainsaw,Trimmer 9T | eBay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminium-Alloy-Boat-Propeller-For-Brush-Cutter-Multi-Tool-Chainsaw-Trimmer-9T/173544867081?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

2. BillyBudd

BillyBudd New Member

Yes of course Statler, but we are talking about the Southern Hemisphere where things always go around the other way. :)

3. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

I am not sure why you 2 are in this group when you have no intention of listening to anyone. Daan has been advised by many of us to use an outboard but won't listen . At the very least both of you could consider making longtails as suggested by others. You do not need reverse or neutral .

4. BillyBudd

BillyBudd New Member

Probably because we are both designing boats I guess? I think you'll find it was me who suggested a longtail might be an option but perhaps others did as well. For me this isn't an option and really keen to see if I can install a cheap inboard in my mini yacht (14ft) because I really like the idea! Although as another poster says it will probably end up costing more and definitely the more I research the more is involved. Particularly, as I plan to cut into the sealed air-void in the keel (and you thought Daan was a muppet! :)

Certainly do listen to all the advice on here as some invaluable knowledge and experience on here - although obviously some is not so useful but has been in the minority so far :)

5. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

I can see it's worth the effort in a 14 footer but the reason we all tried to talk daan out of it is because his boat is so small there will be no room for him and the motor.

bajansailor likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.