Lee Taylor Rocket Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by FranklinRatliff, Jan 11, 2007.

1. FranklinRatliff

FranklinRatliff Previous Member

Lee Taylor's Discovery II rocket boat.

First rocket boat to go after the World Water Speed Record.

1 person likes this.
  2. FranklinRatliff

Attachments

Had to try again on the attachments.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. TamaraLee

TamaraLee New Member

Hi guys, for those of you who have talked about Lee Taylor with such high regard, Thank You! He was my grandpa. I can still remember the day we got the call that the water was too choppy and he had crashed. I was and am so proud of him. I still wish he was here today. So yes thank you for posting pics and articles... So blessed!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. bronxboy67

bronxboy67 New Member

Please get in touch with me

I knew your grandpa at a young age. I was 12 when I met the great man and Dorothy!!!! I know I met his daughter and we spent some time together... I do not remember her name but. I met him in Walker Lake and we became such good friends!!!! So much to tell!!!!! Please write!!!! bronxboy67@Yahoo.com. I hope your grandmother is doing well!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. FranklinRatliff

Cause of crash

A seven degree angle on the sponsons gives the lowest hydrodynamic drag but the most violent response to waves and swells. Discovery II didn't crash because it was a reverse three-point hydroplane. It crashed because the last run was not on the kind of glass smooth water that Donald Campbell preferred. An eleven or twelve foot width instead of a seven and a half foot width would've reduced the degree of roll in the event it did hit a swell.

6. FranklinRatliff

Sponson Angles

With its steep sponson angles, this 1983 design proposed by Philip Villa would've had the same issues as Taylor's boat, despite being a conventional three-pointer.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.