Snipe Help

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by jgrant86, Sep 20, 2010.

1. jgrant86

jgrant86 New Member

I recently purchased a used snipe that seems to be in pretty good shape for the most part. Up near the bow the deck is not reinforced and will flex easily. Most snipes I have seen use some sort of reinforcement up there and I didn't know if anyone had recommendations on how to do so.

Attached Files:

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

That spray dodger and its backing where intended to stiffen and apparently didn't do the job? Where is the thing flexing? My first instinct is that it is non-oriented chopped strand construction (chopper gun), which is fairly stiff for its strength - so if it is flexing, it is also near catastropic failure. You are right in fixing before the problem arises.

I looked again and it said "near the bow" - Sorry. Well, that's easy. You are just concerned about when you walk on it? Just glass almost any shape into it. Cut a paper towel cardboad (the roll) in half lengthwise and glass it athwarts with whatever glass and epoxy resin you can find. You're not building a piano here - if you want advice on making a finer craft of it, write back and expound upon your expectations.

3. jgrant86

jgrant86 New Member

You are right about it being close to catastrophic, walking on it would probably break it. The entire deck area from the mast to the bow is flimsy, especially about mid span. Many photos I have seen of similar boats seem to have supports in that area. I am familiar with fiberglass work but just wasn't sure if there was any particular method commonly used in other snipes before I go crazy with the resin.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Snipes are built to be raced. The foredeck is not to be walked on really. You may sit on it gently to reach a dock or something. By class rules there is a foam core, that is adequate.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yep, they are on the delicate side, but not so bad really. A common method is to use foam or cardboard tube (halves), of course covered in polyester or epoxy and fabric, to act as deck beams. This is light, strong and eliminates the flexing. It also handles the pucker that is usually seen at the jib tack fitting.

6. jgrant86

jgrant86 New Member

Thanks for the help guys.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.