Learning scantling part 1: general arrangement. Naval Architects please help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by magwas, Dec 26, 2009.

1. magwas

magwas Senior Member

I am used to free design. All the programs in my computer are free (and the best quality in the industry), all the books I read are free. And be assured that designing and implementing a computer program like an operating system kernel, a word processor or a web browser is much more work, and involves much more theory than designing a boat.
    And no, these programs are not written by starving idiots who got nothing back. Just the business models involved are beyond what you are familiar with.
    There are some books I recommend on the issue:
    http://www.free-culture.cc/
    http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/

In IT (and all surronding professions I am familiar with) the greatest minds are willing to share their knowledge. They know that it is good to their reputation (and reputation generates revenue), and that their profession is an art, which needs more than the information to be mastered. I repeatedly find that the ones which do not want to share knowledge are mediocre in their art, and what they try to hold is always turns out to be public knowledge.
    I think that boat design is much more reputation driven than IT, and mastering this art also needs much more than knowledge. So I find it safe to assume that the brightest ones are happy to share their knowledge. This is why this forum is created for, and it is working, after all.

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thats a contradiction in itself.:cool:

But what do I tell you. You seem to be unprofessional in any league. No matter what you claim.

And stop telling pro´s what they are obliged to provide! Nobody here has a obligation to give you the free ride you are in for!

And sure no one will!:p

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

You can, and have the right, to have this delusion about life.
    I have no problem.

As for telling why the forum was created please refrain of arrogant thought, since you have no idea the difference between the EXCHANGES of ideas between members, and people like you who try to have FREE design and calculations and advices for your own necessity and only self. We are not interrested on sellfish bahavior. My friend you don't belongs to the forum if you don't see the difference.

I don't give a fly rat about your boat, and no professional (which you need obviusly) will with your attitude and patronizing rambling quoted above.

Wake up, smell the reality, and come back to SHARE some of your ideas. And not to take ADVANTAGE of us.

Go sailing, its fun and you learn camaraderie.

Cheers
    Daniel

4. magwas

magwas Senior Member

No contradiction. Free software is better quality in several areas than commercial one. There is a reason behind it. Learn the books I have recommended and you will hopefully understand why.

I am not telling anyone that they are obliged to answer my questions. I merely pointed out the reasons they benefit from it. And I am sure there are some who will help. As there were such people even in this thread, where I admittedly did not pose the right question, and shown that I do not have a clue about what I am talking about :)

But now I have a request towards you: If you are not willing to help, it is okay. But please do not spoil my threads with offtopic spam.

1 person likes this.
  5. magwas

magwas Senior Member

You might not realized that I am sharing here what I am learning.
    Actually a naval architect offered me help, and told me not to bother with the forum because I won't get answers here. Still I did not stop posting what I have figured out, and learned from him and those who have answered my questins meaningfully. Because I know that I am obliged to give back to the community what I have received from the community.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

In this case NA means Nautical Amateur Paul.:cool:

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Here we share the grapes but we don't give away the vineyard.

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It would take up too much time and space and besides, the best learning comes from doing one's own research.

10. dskira

dskira Previous Member

did he went sailing finaly?

11. magwas

magwas Senior Member

Ad Hoc

12. magwas

magwas Senior Member

I still haven't a clue :)

Maybe a general arrangement should also be a two dimension drawing showing the ship from the side, and all decks from above, like these?
    I understand that it should be to scale. Which is funny when one does not yet know things such where to put the mast or how high should it be. Shall I just put that somewhere?
    It also seems that the general arrangement plan should not include unnecessary details, like chines, etc.

Attached Files:

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

I doubt he will continue after your bold attempts.

14. Bruce46

Bruce46 Junior Member

Is it possible that Magwas believes Naval architects and designers are a waste of money,or that they should give there knowledge for free? After all itn't it true that unless you are manufacturing a product, basically all the professional has to sell is their knowledge.

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

I think it is even worse. He believes (and told us accordingly) that they have a obligation to share their knowledge. Otherwise they are not helpful contributors to human society.

What a barefaced individual.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.