Learning scantling part 1: general arrangement. Naval Architects please help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by magwas, Dec 26, 2009.

1. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

agree 100%. That is one I've read. My favorite for sailboats is Robert Perry on Yacht Design. Focuses mostly on hulls. He plans on writing another book. Maybe he'll cover rig and sails more in that one. He's currently writing a series in Good Old Boat that is an extension of his book. Highly recommended.

2. magwas

magwas Senior Member

Q1.1 What is missing? What should a General Arrangement Plan should consist of?

3. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

Here's a tip.

I just typed in the following in Google:

"General Arrangmenet" scantlings.

I suggest you do the same. Your images are NOT General Arrangement Plans. That will be obvious once you search around.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Magwas

your questions remind me of a person I met once, asking a physician to tell him just the basics of surgery. He wanted it for a circumnavigation, in case some serious injury would occur.

He was completely upset when he was told, that some 5 or 6 years at the university would provide the basic knowledge to force the doctor to a reply!

Your attempt is a similar one, a appendectomy is a easy task, but not something one would tell you at entry level.

Regards
    Richard

5. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

A strangely naive request , IMO :p

6. magwas

magwas Senior Member

Thanks Dreamer!

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediafiles/mar_cv_info_030.pdf

I thought that a General Arrangement plan is much more simple, and - as a basis for scantling - only contains structural elements. Now I am back to drawing.

2. General Arrangement (GA) drawing(s) must show the following:
    · Profile of the vessel (both port and starboard sides if they are significantly different).
    · Plan of each deck.
    · Table of vessel principal particulars indicating the vessels dimensions to be used for
    scantling calculations, namely:
    USL Class (e.g.; 2B)
    Overall length, (m)
    Measured length, (m)
    Moulded beam, (m)
    Displacement for scantling calculations (at deepest operational draft), (t)
    Waterline length at scantling displacement, (m)
    Waterline beam at scantling displacement, (m)
    Hull draft at scantling displacement, (m)
    Vessel speed at scantling displacement, (kts)
    Number of passengers and crew
    · Bulkhead locations. Watertight bulkheads are to be labelled and watertight doors to
    shown.
    · Frame locations and spacings.
    · Access ways, steps and ladders.
    · Bulwarks and railings. Minimum height and spacing of bulwark and rails to be noted in
    the drawing.
    · All spaces to be labelled indicating their use.
    · The location and sill/coaming height of all hatches, doors and removable panels.
    · Seats, Berths, Toilets.
    · Navigation lights.
    · Freeing ports.
    · Location of all ventilation grills and closing devices.
    · Deck machinery (windlass, fishing gear etc.).
    · Fixed buoyancy and ballast.
    · Escapes.
    · All tanks.
    · Anchor and chain lockers.
    · Liferafts and floating off buoyancy.

7. magwas

magwas Senior Member

Then you have completely misunderstood me.

8. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

Yeah. That Google thing is pretty cool. It's amazing what new technologies there are these days. Do you know that you can get phones that don't have wires attached to them?

/sarcasm

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Magwas: that is plain BS. If someone tells you he can't even turn on a computer but please explain how to write code on C++ you are going to tell him to start by learning how to type. Your arrogance does not help

10. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Well, it kind of looks like to make the GA plan you should know the engineering so I don't know if this is a cart before the horse situation or if it's a bunch of carts and no horses or just a bunch of cows or WTF.

Things are usually harder than they appear. Anyway, magwas, good luck.

11. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I've never seen this book, but everyone usually recommends it when someone tries to engineer their own boat. Dave Gerr's book 'Elements of Boat Strength'.

12. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

13. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

14. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

Magwas,

It sounds like you need an education in boat design. As mentioned in other peoples replies it is very difficult to give you the information you need in a short reply. Perhaps you should look into an online course on yacht design such as Westlawn Institute http://www.westlawn.edu/. After a few years of diligent work you should be able to design many types of boats.

Meanwhile, if it has not been answered already, a general arrangement is an orthographic drawing of the vessel showing the interior arrangement, deck plan, profile, inboard profile, and some sections. While it does not generally denote what the scantlings are (those are reserved for detail drawings) you will need to know them in order to make sure your interior and the structure of the boat work together.

Oh, another good book for the beginner is Cyrus Hamlin's "Preliminary Design of Boats and Ships". It gives a pretty good review of the design process.

Don't get frustrated. Just as it took you some time to learn IT, it will take you time to learn boat design. It is not an instant process.

15. dskira

dskira Previous Member

My friend your next issue is as delusional as your first question.
    You want free design, that will not happens.
    Can I go to your home, take your bank account, and your food and seat comfortably while your prepare my meal? NO of course.
    You do the same my friend. We spend hundred and thousand of dollars on study, a life time of experience and design, you come here and you want us to be interrested about your probleme for free.
    Then you announce: The next issue :D
    Your next issue should be honnest and ask : How much it will cost to help me designing my dream boat. That is a honnest question.
    Without the help of a profesional and just using the forum you will fail.
    Do you want to risk you life just because you are stingy? Hope no.
    Do you think the forum is a free university: hell no, and you know it.
    Be reasonable and don't barge with your huge list, like if we are in the obligation to answer.
    And your: "Gentleman the next issue", was realy arrogant to say the least.
    Be realistic and you will have help.
    Cheers
    Daniel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.