Learning resin infusion

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by JEM, May 2, 2005.

1. JEM

JEM Senior Member

Please excuse if I'm not using the "proper" technical term. Looking to use a vacuum to infuse resin in fiberglass inside a mold.

I've done a few searchs and read about the process. Basics seem simple enough.

Here's what I've found

http://www.gurudvds.com/site/promo.asp

http://www.fram.nl/workshop/controlled_vacuum_infusion/cvi.htm

I've heard mixed reviews about the CD. Anyone got it?

Are there any other good reference books/CDs that cover the subject well? I'm going to visit a company that does this sort of work but the visit will be brief since I'm working it in with another business trip. Won't have any "hands on" time.

Practice will provide the best leasons of course. But any reference materials I can read up on would be great.

My project is on the scale of a canoes and kayaks.

Thanks,

Matt

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

As far as I know, this process has only become popular recently and I haven't seen much on it... then again, since I work mostly with prepreg and vacuum-bag, or plain wetlay, it's not as if I would have had a chance to try it.
    Like all composites work, it's more a matter of seeing it done, talking to the masters, and practicing yourself on small parts. A good book would help, yes.... if you can find one. If you're already familiar with vacuum-bagging (and know how to catch leaks ;-) ) you'll probably be able to figure it out from the Web notes and from watching it done.
    Good luck!

3. John ilett

John ilett Senior Member

Vacuum infusion is reasonably complex and can take a number of tests to get it right and more practice to do it well. I think it is best for a manufacturer who is looking to improve their product and can afford the time and tests to sort it out.

If you or a freind know how then do it but I would say it is much more difficult than a regular vacuum bag with a wet lay up or pre preg with a regular oven (not autoclave).

Of course the bag is the same but with vacuum infusion you must have a perfect leak free bag. If a bag leaks on a normal wet lay up job, the air entering the bag will just travel through your breather and into the pump, as long as the leak is small the pump will probably still give you a pretty good vacuum.

With infusion you have no breather so any air entering the bag may travel through your laminate and then once cured you have a laminate full of air.

A regular vac bag has a simple vac port/connection to bag but with your infusion you have a bit of plumbing with pipes to arrange, resin traps, taps etc. Then you need to be sure that the whole resin flow will fill through the laminate in a way to not create any dry islands of laminate without resin (you can fix this). On bigger jobs there is now computer software to model the resin flows and plan your plumbing arrangement for the job. Resin may also need to be recycled through the system without losing vacuum on the job.

You should also use the specific resins for infusion which are generally thinner.

4. Buckle

Buckle Composite Engineer

Jem,

The art of infusing various components can seem daughting at first. To be perflectly honour, its difficultly depends soley on the complexity of your part. For example, if your infusing a simple laminate upon a flat sheet, thats relatively straight forward. The plumbing can be simplifed if your infusion using for example a DIAB RI core. Channels in the core act as a transport medium, thus simpliflying your plumbing.

However your will earn your money when infusing parts of differenting complexities. Failure rates can be high if you fail to have a good infusion stragey. Once the resin pipes are open, only time will tell. Fear not, infusion of stringers on hulls/decks is achievable. You will have to learn (mainly throught experimential techniques) to balance the mould, ensuring a uniformly flow.

If you want a real good course covering all the basic's to RI, contact ACMC - Advanced Composites Manufacturing Centre - their part of the university of plymouth, uk.

Their really good and courses are worth every pound. They can even help you plan your infusion. Contact a chap called Julian Spooner at ACMC. Hes a bit nuts, but very good. Their support is very professional and international. They have an excellent reputation.

Hope this helps.