Outboard engine CAD files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Walter Line, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Walter Line

Walter Line Junior Member

2. Walter Line

use wls engine cad in project

Engines from 30 to 350 hp for your projects

Attached Files:

3. Walter Line

Yamaha outboard ready for download for rhino 4 and 5

4. Walter Line

Yamaha outboard 350 to 30 hp and jet drive modeld

Attached Files:

5. Peter Edmonds

Peter Edmonds Junior Member

SolidWorks File Compatability

I am moving my design operations onto the SolidWorks platform - another story!

The immediate issue is whether I will be able to use the Rhino files to generate SW surface models. I haven't tried anything here so far. Can this be done; if so, how?

6. Peter Edmonds

Other Propulsion CAD FIles

I am developing SolidWorks as my marine design platform of choice.

I note the good range of outboard motors in Rhino. However, there is more to propulsion than outboard motors.

I have just corresponded with HamltonJet, Christchurch, NZ. They have genuine SW surface models for some of their range, and representative surface models for others. This is a good start if you are doing jet boats. Follow up on their website by joining.

Another issue for which I seek information is the availability of SW (or SW-usable) surface models for marine inboard engines. What is known to be out there? 2D CAD outlines are readily available for many brands, but don't support the solids modelling environment.

7. yipster

yipster designer

dont know what solidworks needs or can convert but looks like the yamaha files come at a cost and the other brands dont open?
    so cant make out what file type or size ( 3d boat engine files come usualy free on request but sometimes are megafiles better to reduce first )
    there are some 3d engines in the boatdesign gallery under cad files also.

8. Peter Edmonds

Outboard Engines (and other) CAD Files

Since my recent postings here and elsewhere I've done some further investigation.

One that came out was the range of file types that SolidWorks can accept to bring in 3D parts, etc. These include Rhino, IGES, STEP and many others. (It is some time since I last used this feature.)

The other is the range of items in the Forum Gallery. There is a lot of useful material there, and much easier to find relevant material than what is in GrabCAD (on my recollection of some time ago).

One issue that did appear is that some, but by no means all give their file type(s) in the descriptor panel. I, for one, would very much welcome being able to see the file type in advance of downloading and opening.

Why does this matter? I see that we now have 2 main pools of download files and users.

The first is the now "traditional" AutoCAD and lookalike, primarily 2D drawings-based system. (I have used this for years.)

The second is the solids modelling environment, of increasing significance. In this area SolidWorks has around 50% of the world solids modelling market, with a number of other significant players; Rhino and others. (I am developing capability in this area.)

Given what I see as the limited interchangeability between these two areas, is it time for a split of the Gallery material? Would this be of significant benefit to Forum members? I am decidedly new to this area of design support, and would welcome the views and experience of others active in this area.

Naval Architect
    Peter Edmonds Marine Designs

9. ISA210

ISA210 New Member

I have download the"first set yamaha" after having tested the file yamaha 350hp, very hight quality
    I used Rhino tools to convert files in 3d max with to good result

10. Walter Line

WLSdesigner alloy part

Alloy boat parts, for work boat or fishing boat

Attached Files:

11. pinetar

pinetar Junior Member

[​IMG]
    http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/23149

Drawing up a model of an outboard isn't that tough :rolleyes: but it does take some time and effort. I used to make 1:8 scale models of antique outboard motors. They were designed based on measurements and photos. In some cases as in logos and extremely complex parts the original part was 3D scanned and reworked. I design in Rhino 5 and sometimes use Flamingo for renderings of parts.

[​IMG]
    http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/23148

The designs can be converted to .stl files for 3D printed patterns. The patterns are used to make rubber mold for casting metal parts.

Hope this isn't too off topic:?:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  12. foxy

foxy Junior Member

I do engineering for various designers and I've been using SolidWorks since 1998 and have worked with many users of other software. SW has improved its import capabilities greatly from the early days where I used to send IGES files I couldn't read to Paul Adams so they could work on their import functionality.

Generally I prefer solid or surface file formats in the following order:
    Parasolids, STEP, IGES, and ACIS. It somewhat depends on which program the models originated in and what you need to do with them. At times, you can directly import models to or from another CAD program in their native format, but every time one or the other company does a program update, that functionality gets lost for a while. SW has gotten to the point where its fairly easy to alter a "dumb solid" that its easier to stay with the neutral formats.

Many Vendor supplied models have way more information than you really need. For example, you don't need all the ball bearings inside a block, you just need the outside shape. Volvo is the one engine manufacturer that seems to understand this and supplies simple models with the service points (oil filter, oil fill, fuel pump, cable connections etc) clearly defined but without all the detail that just bloats the model.

A few years ago, I was going to upload my fairly extensive model library of simplified parts to 3D content central. However one of the questions they asked was "Do you have the rights to and/or permission of maker of the part for the model you are supplying?" After a quick conversation with my IP lawyer, I decided that sharing models in a public library could be quite risky. Not worth being sued just for being a nice guy.

13. pinetar

pinetar Junior Member

Depends on the model! If the part/model is based on an active trademark/patent/etc. it is probably a risk though a small one. The Koban outboard model I posted a picture of isn't an active trademark.

You go messing with current stuff like Merc, Honda, Yamaha, etc. and you could be in for a mess but I don't think very likely. In boat design it would be better to make up a simplified model of similar dimensions and rough shape.

14. Walter Line

Attached Files:

15. Walter Line

slight delay, but available from today
    vmax yamaha for rhino 3d (recording step,iges,3ds)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.