Looking to build a one of a kind

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BJKohlleppel, Aug 7, 2011.

1. BJKohlleppel

BJKohlleppel New Member

Might as well jump in and introduce myself. My name is Bill and I've never built a boat in my life. If you check on my profile you will see that I am a security officer by trade, with a side hobby in costuming. I am a prop maker (novice leather worker). To explain the costuming thing, I got into it because I am a huge fan of Star Wars. Local Star Wars costuming clubs focus on raising money for children's charities. That set well with me since I had a brother who died of Leukemia, when he was 7.

At any rate, my costuming has taken me into the world of GI JOE (A Real American Hero), and since I am a novice leather worker, I've taken the plunge to learn all I can on seeing to the feasibility in building a real life rendition of one of the GI JOE vehicles that I grew up with.

This is no joke. I am seriously looking into building a full-size, real working replica of the GI JOE "Devilfish". I searched for a boat building forum and found this place. So I hope I have found myself a good source to reference in pulling off this project.

For those who don't know what the Devilfish looks like, allow me to show you:
    http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/86/devilfish/

I think I may have a rough idea of how to pull it off. But I am not too proud to gauge the collective opinion of those who are more skilled in this craft, than me. I was thinking that I would build a basic frame out of plywood and 2x4's. But the main question I have with that plan of attack is how thick should the plywood be? Of course I would utilize some sort of marine grade resin to coat and seal the hull of the vessel.

Any idea on what type of boat I could use as a basis for this project?

Sorry for the lengthy read, but I wanted to ensure this community that I am not some crackpot looking to spam. I am honestly looking to learn from masters of the boat building profession to create a one of a kind boat that people could be in awe of.

Thanks for your time,

- Bill

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you plan on putting this contraption in the water and possably powering it up, you'll need a designer or NA to draw up workable plans. The hull is so uniquely shaped (very inefficient BTW) that no commonly available hull will serve well as a base without huge revisions, which will likely cost more then a scratch build. There are also practical considerations for this boat, which in real life (if used as a boat) would require design changes. In short, this is a toy, designed by someone without a clue about hydrodynamics and has very limited practical value (in use), but more importantly dangerous and significant hull form short comings, before it could be considered a workable, water borne vessel. Contact a designer or NA and see where you really stand in regard to budget and reality.

3. BJKohlleppel

BJKohlleppel New Member

Thanks for your candor. I was afraid this would be the case. Thank you for your time.

- Bill

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

You could, of course, just build it as a display item - you may get paid to take it around shopping centres and other public places, just to wow the other GU Joe enthusiasts.

5. BJKohlleppel

BJKohlleppel New Member

Yeah, that is what a friend had suggested that I do, too. I was just wanting to see if it would be possible to make it a real deal prop, ya know?

- Bill

6. wayne nicol

wayne nicol Senior Member

what about getting the hull designed, so that it is safe and works, as close to the original as possible- then build your topsides any way you want, i have seen a few of those fast, single seater, high speed racers.
    in fact there was a write up in a wooden boat a little while ago.
    i say do it!!

1 person likes this.

7. BJKohlleppel

BJKohlleppel New Member

Thanks Wayne. I just need to go find a custom boat builder and pick their brain on how to do it. I did see a site online that offered plans for boat building for any experience level - beginners to experts. I thought about getting that program and just combing through all of those files just to see what I can come up with.

Of course I would like to keep it as "canon" as possible. But even I can recognize that reality does, indeed, exist and that if i were to build this bad boy that it has to be practical in application.

Thanks again!

- Bill