NF Boat - Carvel-Strip Combo

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by ShagRock, Jan 3, 2009.

1. ShagRock

ShagRock Junior Member

I am interested in the design-build technique used in a modern wooden speedboat as seen commonly in Atlantic Canada, particularly Newfoundland. I participated in building several of these (picture below), but it was quite some years ago. I pretty sure the method used was a unique combination of carvel and strip-plank methods.

After the molds and ribbands were erected, the 1.25" square ribs (from larch, tamarak) were hot-water bent and installed 'inside' the ribbands. The planks were narrow strips (about 1.5" wide). They were edge-glued, squeezed to the adjoining plank with pipe clamps, and nailed to the ribs. This eliminated carved timbers, edge-nailing, and chalking. I'm not an expert, but I think this is a 'modified' carvel technique, to achieve certain advantages associated with a strip-plank method. I think it was borrowed from the Gander Bay guide boats used for salmon fishing on rivers. Also, the general design has round bilge bow tapering to a flatter stern for use with outboard (as opposed to traditional trap skiff with a skeg for inboard motor prop).

Some queries I have:
    1. Anyone know of sources related to this specific build technique or related design?
    2. What woods generally in North American could substitute for the larch in achieving hot water bends for the same size ribs?
    3. Any suggestions how to create a lighter weigh boat (the 16' in the picture is quite heavy and can handle 1/2 ton load in choppy seas)?
    4. Could a mast, sail rig, and maybe leeboard be workable for sailing this boat?
    [​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.