layup design for 15ft fishing boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rutgar, Nov 28, 2012.

1. rutgar

rutgar New Member

Hi, I have just bought a 15ft fishing boat mould with a small cubby.
    I am looking for a lay up schedule, at the moment my plan for the hull is 2 layers of gel,tissue,1 x 300g chopped strand, 1 x 600g(2oz) chopped strand, 450g biaxial cloth, 1 x 300g chopped strand, 2mm coremat, 1 x 600g chopped strand, flowcoat. Hardwood reinforcements in keel, the floor will be marine ply with the space underneath filled with closed cell expanding foam. I am also thinking about putting a 6" strip of foam arounf the gunnel for bouyancy. what does any one think of this plan. i intend to use the boat for coastal fishing. any ideas much appreciated. Cheers

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

with a lay up like that i hope you are not going to far off shore !!
    Your glass weights are a but light ! what sort of motor you using inboard or outboard ??
    Never use Core matt in the bottom of a hull any hull !!never !!. 2mm core matt is next to useless !! its making a weak thin layer between the outer and inner skins so if you hit anything thats the shear line and will simply peel apart like pages of a book .
    For what you are making in a work boat i strongly advise against using any corematt in any part of a work boat .

I have a simple and strong ,easy to l make layup . little heavyer than what you had, but much more practical and much more robust .
    The outer and inner layers sandwich a core of chopped strand matt between the layers .
    Take note of this laminate it can be used in boats up to 20feet long and even bigger simply using the same principle and heavyer layers of glass and thicker core of csm .
    We have 90 foot work boat using this principle and glass thickness is 18 mm totall thickness
    Our whole range of cruisers use this same technique from 26 feet to 48 feet long with more that 750 hp and twin ips units . just hull thicknesses vary between sizes of boats

This is what i suggest for your boat

Gel coat
    1 x300 gram csm
    I x 450 gram csm +800 gram double bias
    2 x 450 gram csm
    1 x 300 gram csm +800 gram double bias +300gram csm
    sand and flow coat after floors and framing is done .
    :D:p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.