layout boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by layout, Oct 22, 2007.

1. layout

layout New Member

question

I am building layout boat for Duck Hunting shallow water. Like a rice field. Anyone see a problem with making my boat 8' and not 10' as the plans say?

I'm about 160 lbs.

by the way my first boat

Thanks for any help

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

yes...it will sink deeper into the water. I would need to see the dimensions of the boat before being able to tell you how much. Seeing as a layout boat is designed to sit just at the surface...I would not be surprised if it swamps with the reduction of buoyancy

Steve

3. dimitarp

dimitarp Junior Member

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Stick to the original plan if you can. Small boats are usually designed to close comprimises. You can't change one dimension without changing another except when going bigger. Going smaller, the entire boat will have to be redesigned or lose important safety and performance factors.
    Making it shorter you could make it wider, I suppose, which will make it a slug in the water. If you went deeper, you'd decrease the very factor that the boat is intended to accentuate---- shoal water use.
    By what you describe, cutting two feet off would mean the boat would be suddenly incapable of carrying a second passenger of your weight along with you. Quite a difference!

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.