new hvlp paint delivery systems

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Aug 18, 2007.

1. grady

grady Novice

Just a generalized inquiry into how these new low pressure units work?

My project is moving out of the prep stage and into prime, and was looking

for a pressure pot to hold a little more paint. A I keep coming across these

small self contained hvlp units. Now the conventional system we'll be using

is also hvlp but that's just the gun. These other systems don't use a

compresser. try http;//www.turbinaire.com . Just wondering the pro's and

con's of such a device.

Thanks

2. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

I have owned a Turbinaire 6 or 7 years now and I absolutely love it. I can do the heaviest sprayable fairing coatings and bottom paints with it up to the finest lacquers. You can push Mississippi river mud through that thing. There is much less over spray and much less wasting of paint. A lot less mist in the air.It is nicer to go into an interior with.
    Once you are used to it, it is a great machine. I can get killer finishes with it. I can go anywhere there is a 110 outlet and paint without hauling around a compressor. A really big one for me is not have to battle the air drying problems with filters and all their problems.

Things I don't like about it

>Lots of hose to drag around with you---you need a helper a lot more of the time so that you don't get the hose into what you have just painted.

>Harder to cleanup---this is not much more though and not a huge nuisance

>The turbine continues to move large amounts of air even when you are not spraying. If your area is not really clean (like outside) you have to be careful where you aim it as you are moving around as it can stir up dust.---again you just get used to it.

>The turbine warms the air as it comes out--this is mostly a good thing--but on hot days it can be a bother as you really have to adjust your paint mixing for it.

I recommend them