lawn mower

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by boat, Nov 20, 2004.

1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Mr. Mach2, I'm not sure to who or what you are referring. Tom, when I find the modern paddlwheel thread I'll post something I found at the USPTO site. Whoever invented it sure thinks it will be high speed. Sam

2. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

thanks,will look forward to that as I find it an interesting subject.

3. maxwell

maxwell redneck

I looked into building A simple V drive with two shafts, two pillow blocks, and a U joint to get the 12 degres out the bottom. It is very posible for about 100$.

4. rvBilly

rvBilly Junior Member

V-Drive

This sounds very simple, do you have any plans or pictures of this homemade drive, I want to use a snowmobile engine in a small 11 foot speed boat, but am having problems trying to find a plan or picture of such a v drive, thanks Bill Pickering rvbilly@shaw.ca

5. Bowbender8

Bowbender8 New Member

Hartley in NZ has a design named Spearfish 12 which shows a simple IB based on a lawn mower engine. Glen-L designs has a very good book on the subject of Inboard engines for the homebuilt boat.

Key seems to be being careful to not create a problem with gasoline fumes gathering to explode. Most seem to be direct drive, no reverse and often no neutral, so one must use a trolling motor, paddle, or oars for docking.

In my opinion, good exhaust muffling is also important to make the modest cruising pace enjoyable.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.