Laurent Giles and His Yacht Designs

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Kreso, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Kreso

Kreso Senior Naval Architect

I`m interesting in book "Laurent GIles and His Yacht Design" and I`ll be gratefull if you write some details from this book if you have it.
    Thanks a lot

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Kreso,

I have a copy--I reviewed the book for SAIL magazine back in September, 1992. It was published by International Marine Publishing in the US in 1991, and originally published by Nautical Books in Great Britain in 1990. Authors are Adrian Lee and Ruby Philpott. The ISBN number is 0-87742-285-0.

Is there anything else you would like to know?

Eric

3. Kreso

The Details

Could you tell me, how many designs in the book are interpreted, dates from designs and which details are given (body lines, hydrostatic particulars, righting arm, general arrangment, equipment, midship section). I would like to by the book, it seems to me that book is good, but though I need something more than intuition whereas its used price is 95$.

Thanks

4. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

The book covers Laurent Giles' history from 1927 to 1990 covering 61 designs. There are general arrangement plans, sail plans and outboard profiles, and photographs. There are no lines plans published, and no hydrostatics beyond the list of particulars which includes displacement. There is no stability information, nor are there equipment lists or midship sections. The book is intended to be a retrospective of Laurent Giles, the chocolate boat designer. He inherited his wealth from his family who were well-known chocolate manufacturers, and so he was able to dabble in yacht design. It is a pretty good review of his work, but it is not intended to be a detailed naval architectural study of his yacht designs.

Eric

5. Kreso

Thanks

Thank you very much :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.