launch day: drift boat game changer?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by river runner, Sep 9, 2011.

1. river runner

river runner baker

Before you even read this, it might not be a bad idea to go to www.hydeoutdoors.com or www.clacka.com. Both sites have instructions on rowing a drift boat. There seemed to be a lot of confusion in a previous post. People that had never even seen a drift boat were trying to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about.
    Today I finally got my boat in the water, even if it was only a lake. The main ideas behind my design were, since a drift boat is rowed backwards, seems like it should be most efficient going in that direction and I also felt that secondary stability shouldn't be completely thrown out the window for the sake of primary stability and shallow draft.

I have a lot of work to do on my Hyde before I get it in the water, so I can't fairly claim that my boat performs better, but looking at the Hyde and looking at my boat and rowing my boat, it is hard for me to imagine the Hyde not feeling like a barge in comparison.
    In one or two of the photos, you may notice that my boat is floating stern down. I was anticipating Dave being in the bow and put a seven gallon water jug in the stern to compensate. But he is the one taking the photos. I'd also like you to take notice of my modified oar blades, for shallow water, which worked great. Oars are too long. Need shorter oars.

Attached Files:

2. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Good for you! You seem to have found a solution that works for YOU, your location, your rivers, and your applications. No offense, but a driftboat would be worthless for the types of rivers and applications I use. Maybe the same for some others.

Porta

3. Hussong

Hussong Previous Member

Can you describe your apps and river scenarios?

4. Hussong

Hussong Previous Member

RR,

Do you have any shots of the boat out of the water illustrating the rocker profile and bottom shape? You've developed an interesting solution and I find the expression to be a great effort to explore alternative ideas. Too many of the self-designed boats I see for river fishing simple emulate the hullforms of previous designs. It makes you wonder why they didn't just go out and buy a used boat for much less money and get on the water that much sooner.

What would be your preferred waterways for use of this boat?

5. river runner

river runner baker

more photos

This should give you a better idea of shape. Since you row a drift boat backwards, the hull is fish form, effectively making it swedeform going backwards. I would have prefered a larger boat, but build space was very limited.
    For the record, I've never implied in any way that a drift boat was for everyone. It has a very specific purpose, fishing for trout and slamon on rivers or, in my case, running rivers.

Attached Files:

6. Hussong

Hussong Previous Member

Nice clean lines, RR.

If I had but one comment of constructive criticism, it would be about the freeboard present for the river work you choose. Other than that, as long as the boat can comfortably carry the designed weights and it is as responsive to steering inputs as you desire, I think that you have a winner.

Further, once this boat gets out there (assuming it meets your overall goals) I predict that the "other guys" will soon be copying you and advertising the form as a breakthrough in handling and performance for river fishermen.

Enjoy your personal expression.

7. river runner

river runner baker

Why thank you Hussong! You are a good example for other forum users. Sincere criticism is OK. Shooting down someone's ideas just to boost your own self image isn't so good. I will certainly try to follow your example.

1 person likes this.
  8. lumberjack_jeff

lumberjack_jeff Sawdust sweeper

Very nice, river runner. I like it a lot.

I think it's significantly more versatile than the conventional drift boat.

Do you have specs for it?

9. Dirteater

Dirteater Senior Member

Great looking boat rr!
    I think the size is good, of course ...:) it depends on where you want to row.
    Small rivers and tributaries could be difficult with a bigger boat.

10. Dirteater

Dirteater Senior Member

hey riverrunner,
    curious as to her length and beam and freeboard?

thanks
    DE

11. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Don't want to seem irreverent, but you did ask.

Calm to Class II-III, some shallow 4" deep rapids, 50' wide and 3' deep sections punctuated by 8' deep calm water holes, portaging(500 yards when dry season), some low overhanging tree branches at narrow 10' rapid sections, some large boulders projecting in some sections of rapids. Best fishing and undisturbed scenery is where big boats can't go, pack in over narrow trails up to 1/4 mile. But I thought all rivers had at least some sections like that....

Porta

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Mark up one very happy camper - er - fisherman after trout... Good on yer bloke...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.