Launch Canopy

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bing, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Bing

Bing Junior Member

Good day all,

I'm loking for plans, sketches, or detailed photos that would provide some good ideas on how to build a lightweight launch canopy. I introduced my 21 foot freighter canoe river camper to you all last year.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/bo...ormance-34329.html?highlight=freighter canoes

It's a great set up for two on a river camping cruise, but not that comfortable for an evening picnic cruise for four. I'd like to make a small 4 post canopy (one post at each corner of the cabin section) similar common to classic fantail steam launches to use on nice days. The canopy would have to be easily removable, maybe even collapsable into a package that could be stored at home or on the trailer. Rather than re-invent the wheel, I figured you all would have some leads on how those nice looking launch canopies can be built.

Thank you,

Bing

Attached Files:

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Do you need a roof ? or an enclosed weatherproof cocoon?

When I was a kid I had a Kids 16 ft expedition rowboat for cross bay, 2 boys on the beach, Livingstone I presume ? ....cruises.

The canopy was a nicely tailored lightweight sunbrella type fabric with 6 or 8 flexible sail battens permanently sewn into the cover. The canopy when no used was rolled into a tube.

To erect, two oars were stepped... one bow one stern, then a string from oar to oar at the appropriate height , coon *** come alonged bar tight to the stem and stern.
    The top was bent over this string and tied to the sheer clamp 4 or 6 points per side.

I high position.. it was a dew guard... when hunkered down low a waterproof lid.

Worked great....perhaps you could even engineer the cover as a down wind square sail.

3. Bing

Bing Junior Member

Thank you for the input Mike. No, we don't need a weatherproof cocoon, as we already have that (see second photo). What we want is more of a sun canopy, with open sides. I like the sewn in batten idea, and can begin to see how that might work on my boat.

All ideas encouraged.

Bing

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I use sew in battens on big yacht awnings. Examine a mainsail and design the pocket ends as the mainsail...batten tensioning pockets .

Hollow the edges of the canopy, between battens, so the Leech doesn't vibrate.

Make your first practice design with that cheap poly plastic lawnmower cover stuff , a stapler, bits of rope, plastic strapping stock and a rivet gun ..... perfect the shape before practicing with expensive Sunbrella fabric.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.