Late Steve Job's yacht launched

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by liki, Oct 29, 2012.

1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Err emm...a boat the size of Battered Bull has a dozen crew available on deck for a maneuver. Moving mooring lines , hauling a cuerpo muerto, is not an issue . Structure under a tender crane is. Ridgidity of the deck structure is. Security when descending ladders is.

Eliminating this structure would be common sense on a small yacht. On a 50 meter ? I see form and function

2. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

But would you add them to Steve Jobs' yacht? I think the ability to walk a line around the boat is a practical benefit of modern yacht design.

3. michael pierzga

I operate yachts for a living. The modern stuff gives me heartburn.

Have a look at the stern fairleads on the Apple "thing" then relate to me how they would function in real life.

Attached Files:

4. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

The stern is just a slightly less rounded version of that on "A", Mr. Starck's previous effort. I think he's getting stale......;)

It's difficult to grasp the scale of this thing without people in the picture. But note there is a huge 2 story high magic door between those stern fairleads, and other doors in the topsides forward. Docking procedure will include several of those magic doors being open and 27 guys with headsets running about.......A couple of idrone helos to fly the lines ashore will be handy......

5. michael pierzga

With no bulwark scuppers how does a design like this shed water ?

6. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

At Bolger forum, theres comment that it looks like a large Tenessee.

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

and when in rough seas, loose one of those pretty picture windows and it is going down.

And likely long before than, all the fancy electronics that runs all the systems will short and fail.

8. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

We recently completed and delivery a 60m x 15m 150tonne 4 deck aluminium superstructure for a steel hull super yacht.
    The upper deck had fashoin plates fwd and aft that continued through to the sun deck canopy - as both stiffeners and structural members to support the overhang.

Attached Files:

9. watchkeeper

More pics that didn't stick to prev post

Attached Files:

10. Stephen Ditmore

I want to say I don't have problems with them in all cases. I just prefer to see them eliminated when they're unnecessary. Overhangs greater than 1 meter from the cabin side probably should have some kind of auxiliary support. In the case above I wonder: are there fashion plates at the main deck, or can a line be walked around the main deck 360 degrees (by one person)?

11. watchkeeper

There were no out board structural supports or fashions at main deck side decks for one third the length (aft) so passengers have full uninterupted sea views at the rail or from the main deck salon aft section only.
    The fwd half superstructure was built out to full beam plus support pillars were installed on the main deck cockpit, the aft upper deck overhang is substantial.

I wont post dwgs or CAD because I'm not sure if the NDA is still in force even though the house has been delivered.

The photo is the fabricated sections being transferred by barge to the yard for assembly and hull mating.

Attached Files:

12. Stephen Ditmore

Thanks for the photo and info, and congratulations on being part of a nice newbuild. It looks pretty typical of recent large yachts to me. When you're able I'd love to hear your thoughts and those of others in the industry on what you like and what could be done better. My thoughts are in post 48. While the first paragraph has received plenty of discussion, there was also the second:
    If I were the owner I'd want to be on the bridge a lot, even if I pay a captain to do that. Yet I wouldn't want to be isolated from the women there. So I'd wonder if there could be a kitchen area behind the bridge open enough to the bridge to allow socializing. Probably not the main galley, but an area where sandwiches can be prepared, drinks poured and the like. Perhaps an eat-in breakfast area too.

13. watchkeeper

Many of the 30m to 55m SY new builds I've been involved with had an upper deck mini salon with private dinning area and kitchenette included aft of the bridge intended as a private area for the owner and family away from guests.

Others had the owner suite aft of the bridge with private dinning area separating the one from other.

Then some have a Capt's day cabin aft of the bridge (influence of build Capt) which I don't agree with on a super yacht. From owner's point of view its the best seat in the house so bugger the Capt, his cabin goes in the crew space.

With regards vertical space I've seen a few that acheived that and had 3 deck spiral stair and or elavator but it does eat up lots of otherwise useful cabin floor space. But if the owners got the funds and can build 80m plus boats then space is less a premium. The yachts Dubai and MAR Swift conversion are both examples of that philosophy

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

some quotes ;)

Forgive me, but that's an ugly looking yacht.

It's amazing that someone so publicly lauded for the wonderful design of Apple products could have had built such a phenomenally ugly ship.
    "Venus"? It should be named "iSore".

That has to be the ugliest "iYacht" I've ever seen!

No forgiveness necessary, this is one bνtt ugly boat!!!!Steve should have stuck with the i-stuff; he hit home runs.However, this is a prime example of an over active ego; just because he was a genius and designed some wonderful electronic devices it very obvious that is design expertise doesn't transfer to ship design. I hope the interior was done by his wife.

Agreed, it's more than ugly...it's fugly. Obviously Jobs had no clue about ship designing, if I were the family...I would sell it. Get rid of it while they can make something on it.

You are so correct. That is the ugliest yacht I have ever seen, and I've seen a few. Steve..what in the world were you thinking. $75 million for something that doesn't even look seaworthy!

:D :D :D phew! the list just goes on and on :D :D :D

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member