Late Steve Job's yacht launched

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by liki, Oct 29, 2012.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

It would be interesting to see whats behind all those side and rear doors !!!:D
    terified of the public !! I am and i dont have a fraction the money he had !!

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Hard to ask the departed, but this link suggests he was intimately involved in the appearance of "the thing"

http://mashable.com/2012/10/28/steve-jobs-yacht-revealed/

3. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

It was probably a collaborative effort by the two large egos (not meant unkindly). Having worked on a PS designed & driven project I'm familiar with the PS dogma for achieving purity of delivery to be uncompromisingly true to concept regardless the impact on practicality. Combine that fact with what I have heard of Steve Job's drive to gain perfect delivery of (his) design concept & function and you get what you see...awful in every boat sense.

Steve Jobs Apple dynamic theme of geometric formality are evident and obvious in the yacht design, recognized as a SJ hallmark.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

No one has claimed it was 'designed and completed by Jobs.' There's a well-known designer's name on it too...

On the other hand, everything I've read indicates Jobs remained actively involved in the design and build, even though before the end he realized he'd probably never see it launched.

5. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

Its a boat for someone who does not like water, and wants to be as far away from it as possible. An ivory tower that has fallen over .....

6. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

Steve Jobs believed in his ability as a designer. He would never leave the impression something was his work that he didn't approve of. Never.

I don't see it as a complete wacky departure. The proportions say classic commuter to me.

Attached Files:

7. watchkeeper

True but Steve Jobs was a nerd genius clearly not a yacht designer with a sense of classical yacht styling.

I believe the measure of good yacht design is functionality combined with a timeless/ageless style.

Contemporary art is accepted vision, contemporary style retains a sense of balance and proportion as does the Golden Mean.

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

=watchkeeper;590898 True but Steve Jobs was a nerd genius clearly not a yacht designer with a sense of classical yacht styling.

I believe the measure of good yacht design is functionality combined with a timeless/ageless style. so you like old boats !!!!

Contemporary art is accepted vision, contemporary style retains a sense of balance and proportion as does the Golden Mean

9. watchkeeper

I disagree; classic/ageless/timeless styling equates with brilliant sense of design not just replicating or liking 'old boats'.

Many of todays contemporary yachts are beautiful designs with no resemblance whats so ever to preceeding yachts apart from 'sharp end blunt end' yet the stylists have retained that quality that achieves timeless/ageless/classic style.

I've seen the same quality achieved with workboats & patrol boats as well, look at some of the latest windfarm mono hull crew boats being offered.

10. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Post picture so know what yoour talking about !! i love the old chis craft and century boats

11. Chickadee

Chickadee Junior Member

It would be perfect for cruises on a Swiss lake... after they open the stern! Well, a bit heavy to move it there?

They can probably convert it and organize trips for wealthy Apple aficionados? You don't have to go anywhere, just a geeks thing.

12. masalai

masalai masalai

I am afraid this little observer thinks it is bloody ugly too (I was going to say Butt ugly but some bums can be very attractive) - sadly NOT THAT ONE...

13. watchkeeper

Possible uses
    Ark
    Troop carrier transporter
    Japanese car carrier
    Chinese car carrier
    Mumbai river resturant boat
    Mitt Romney meet & greet the people boat
    Artifical reef looking for a home

14. watchkeeper

15. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Probably also intended as the intelligence of self-promotion through stylish magazines.